Please Help! Fcp4 Quits On Capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 7th, 2003, 06:29 PM   #1
New Boot

Please Help! Fcp4 Quits On Capture

Everytime I try to capture 24fps advanced footage from the DVX100, FCP4 just quits on me when I press ESC to stop capturing. Now I have read all the posts on what to change all the settings to, and I have watched APPLE'S quicktime video on capturing from the DVX100, but here is the strange thing...When I go into AUDIO/VIDEO SETTINGS, I created a duplicate capture preset tab, but at the bottom where it should say:REMOVE ADVANCED PULLDOWN FROM MINI DV SOURCES, mine says:REMOVE ADVANCED PULLDOWN FROM DV-25 AND DV-50 SOURCES. Also, when I go into SYSTEM SETTINGS, and PLAYBACK CONTROL, mine doesn't have the top setting that should be just 3:2...mine has 2:3:2:3, 2:3:3:2, and 2:2:2:4. What does this mean? I have tried every variation on the capture presets and anything else I can think of. I have the SEQUENCE PRESET on the 23.98 preset, and I tried the CAPTURE PRESET that was already in the menu, the ADVANCED PULLDOWN REMOVAL for 23.98fps. I'm using a CANON ZR40 to playback the footage from the tape shot on the DVX100.

The only thing that did allow me to capture the footage was when I changed the fps from 29.97 to 23.98 in the ADVANCED PULLDOWN REMOVAL CAPTURE PRESET, but the footage looked really grainy and horrible when played back. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Jesse Melchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #2
Warden

What happens if you capture from the DVX100?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2003, 07:21 PM   #3
New Boot

I was trying to avoid using the DVX100 to playback footage because of the wear on the heads. I guess I will try that to see if it works, but that still doesn't explain the strange wording in the presets, unless everyone's says that because of something FCP4 changed just before the release. Anyone else have the wording that I have on my version of FCP4?
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:13 PM   #4
Warden

Please, just try the DVX100 so we can determine where your issues are. I'm inclined to believe it's just prerelease marketing. Use the about FCP 4 menu and get your version. That will tell if you have something odd in the software.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 7th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Ok. I tried log and capture using the DVX100 and when I pressed ESC, it still quit FCP4, but this sime it actually saved what it captured and I was able to play it back at 24fps, although the quality still didn't look all that great. I checked the ABOUT menu, and it just says Final Cut Pro 4.0...nothing different in there. But by asking me to check that are you implying that the wording IS different in your version?
Old August 7th, 2003, 10:06 PM   #6
Warden

No, the wording is the same, but I was checking for a revision number. Can you tell me more about your system, OS version, ram, number of drives, how full are the drives, what Mac etc.

Old August 7th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #7
New Boot

APPLE POWERMAC G4
DUAL 1GHZ
1.5GB RAM
3-72GB SCSI HARD DRIVES
OSX 10.2.6
FCP4 on main drive, which is less than 1/4 full. Next two drives are dedicated for media storage and capture. Drive A-58GB free space
Drive B-1GB free space

All the drives receive maintenance at lease twice a month:rebuilding directory and optimizing disk using DRIVE 10.
Old August 7th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #8
Warden

Drive B is way too full, not sure if that is your problem (I hope you're not trying to capture to it). But you should never fill a drive, even SCSI, to more than 90% full. Try moving some of the files off B and see what happens.

Old August 7th, 2003, 11:10 PM   #9
New Boot

No, I don't even have that drive listed as a scratch disk at the moment. The clip it did save was saved onto the A drive that has plenty of space.
Old August 7th, 2003, 11:44 PM   #10
New Boot

Ok, now I got it to capture the footage by just setting the in and out points and using the capture clip feature, but, when I took the footage into a new sequence and output it to a monitor, the footage is VERY grainy especially in the darker areas of the footage. There are very pronounced thick dark pixels jumping about in a static sort of motion in all the shadowed regions. I know the footage should not look like this, my GL1 had way better quality than what this looks like.

Now, I have the sequence preset on the advanced pulldown 23.98fps, and I chose the highest quality pulldown(2:3:2:3) in the playback settings. What else could be wrong? I am using the panasonic master tapes so it can't be that.
Old August 8th, 2003, 11:22 AM   #11
Warden

I'm going to move this to the Mac/FCP forum. It might get a little more exposure there.

Old August 8th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #12
New Boot

I already have this up for discussion there and I haven't got much help yet. Thanks for all your help though, it's appreciated.

I'm not positive but the graininess in the video may be a result of the tv I am using as a monitor. I have a new SONY flatscreen trinitron that I am viewing the video on. Connecting a different tv gave a slightly better resolution, so that may be most of the problem with that issue.
Jesse Melchior is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite