FCP offline to online problems late at night at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 9th, 2003, 10:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP offline to online problems late at night

Hi, well here we are in Haiti trying to edit!

We did a 10-min. project offline and just used media manager to re-digitize a full rez, reconnected (after some panics) and all seemed fine. A bin, a sequence. life is beautiful.

But...

The piece is one sequence nested in the other.

Then we went to put subtitles on everything. So to put them on the 1st (nestted) sequence, we double-click on it, a new tab opens with all the clips, etc. We spend 4 hours putting the titles on. Render, save, etc.

Now when we try to play it in the sequence, the titles are NOT seen (actually, two of 30 are... but there is no reason why.)

Q: HOW CAN WE GET THE TITLES AND OTHER CHANGES WE PUT INTO THAT TAB REFLECTED? That tab is NOT a sequence. if I could figure out how, I could make a new one with it, delete the old nested guy and put this into the sequence. HELP!
Jane Regan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #2
Warden

What system, FCP version, Mac, ram, HD space etc?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2003, 08:43 AM   #3
Regular Crew

fcp 3, g-3 1 ghz, 512 ram i think
Old August 10th, 2003, 09:11 AM   #4
Warden

Are you sure you rendered all the titles? Try to render all the titles, effects again. How many tracks of audio do you have? Are you sure it's a G3, maybe a G4?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old August 10th, 2003, 09:15 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Oh Jeff, I'm burned out!

Yes it is a G4 of course.

Here's the story. I render all the titles, save, etc., on the clips that are in the nested sequence. When I open that tab, all play well, very beautiful etc., BUT I can't delete ANYTHING from that tab. If I make a mistake on a title, I can't even move it. Is this part of the mystery? I can't even move things.

Anyway, all titles, etc., are there.

So I go back to the main sequence, i.e. the one that was created when I did the online version of the original offline, and when I play that, the titles on the nested sequence aren't there. When I put titles on the rest of the sequence (the sequence is the nested one plus lots of clips) they are fine, can be moved, deleted, etc.

Jane
Old August 10th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #6
Regular Crew

tracks

Sorry, also I have 4 tracks of video and 6 of audio.
Old August 10th, 2003, 09:41 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jane,

This doesn't help you with your immediate problem, but since you're using FCP 3.0 you might want to consider using a $39 text plug-in that you can download online from www.chv-plugins.com. It makes end credits and subtitles much easier to do, and you have more control over them.

I'm betting it might eliminate your problem, though...and save you a lot of time in the future. Worth a try for that price.

(Note: Their plug-ins haven't been updated for FCP 4.0 yet...but work fine with 3.0)
Old August 10th, 2003, 09:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

plug in

John (in Tokyo?) -

I did use their plug in for the credit roll and like it a lot. Just learning it. I freaked out on time and so didn't use the titler. (I recently bought both on advice from another list member). I used Boris 3d which wasn't bad.

I just figured out I can export the nested sequence as a movie. Now I am thinking i will d that, put on DV, re-import, combine with the rest of the piece, and re-export.

But I still want to figure out what happened so it doesn't happen again.

I really liked the offline feature and am about to do a bigger edit and want to do offline and online again, but I need to discover what went wrong... I am convinced it is part of the issue.

Thanks for your advice.

Jane
Old August 10th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #9
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

That was exactly my response... Jane (in Port-au-Prince?)

Good luck with everything. And keep checking back here...someone is bound to know something about your problem.
Old August 10th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #10
Warden

Is all the audio rendered? All the tracks of video rendered? Do you have space on your drives to render to?

Old August 10th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #11
Regular Crew

all audio and video is rendered

but I tried something new:

nest items since it looks like this makes the nested sequence update. (I know, read the book, I did but I don't understand it.)

So then I rerendered that nested sequence. Guess what, a couple more titles but not all 30 show up. No reason why those and not others. And still I can't delete anything from the nested sequence. Nor move anything or adjust audio etc.

I have a work around now: export the nested sequence (which doesn't exist in the browser, but that is normal, right?) and then recapture as a long clip, and edit it to the rest of the movie which is not the nested sequence.

So this is still a mystery.

For FLA people - I am coming to your state soon from Haiti. Where can I buy lighting equip near Miami? Thanks...
Jane Regan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite