DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 11th, 2008, 04:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Simple & Embarrassing Question

Hi all,

So this is the first of probably what will be many of my "Simple & Embarrassing Questions". I've just switched from Sony Vegas to FCP and i'm excited to learn this new and challenging interface.

So my question is how do select video only from my preview monitor ? It always bringings it with audio and i'm doing a video only edit.

Also, i'm not sure how I managed to do this but in my timeline I have all my tracks independent (meaning I can move just video or audio). How do I make them grouped together again? In Vegas this was easy, but having some difficulty here.

Thanks for the help my new FCP friends!
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:50 AM   #2
New Boot

Not sure about the first one, but to link theres 2 buttons top right of the timeline, one of them is link select shortcut is shift L,
cheers
Sandy Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Andy, I'm a Vegas user of about 3 years. How are you liking FCP? Had you had much experience with Vegas prior to switching?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Andy,
Next to your video and audio tracks you'll see little tabs that say V1 and A1 and A2, by default on your fist video track and both audio tracks. This is sometimes referred to as the "Patch Panel" the way it works is media coming into the timeline will go where it is patched so video will go to track 1 and audio to 1&2 if you click and drag them you can change where things will come in, and if you just click it will separate from the track and nothing will go there. So you would click the two audio patches and when you bring in your video the audio won't come with it.

Just to add to your other question, in the timeline there are two little buttons, one is snap and the other is linked selection. The hotkey for snap is N, you'll be using that one a lot, and the shortcut for linked selection is Shift-S. I would suggest always making sure linked selection is on, and when you want to move just audio or video, hold the option key while selecting it. That way you only unlink what you need when you need it and don't accidentally start moving things out of sync.

Hope that helps and you enjoy FCP :)
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Major Player

Not exactly sure what you mean in asking about the Preview monitor--do you mean Viewer? If so, there are tabs up top of it for seeing the video, audio, filters and motion interfaces. (??)

I worked with Vegas for 5 years and switched to Apple this summer. I went for Level 1 certification by studying the Apple Pro Training Series FCP6 book, and the DVD 'Complete Training for FCP6' by Tom Wolski. I put in around 40 hours between book and DVD and passed the test.

Working through the book was like a slomo version of downloading the 'How to fly a helicopter' scene in The Matrix. I just worked the book, answered the questions at the end of each chapter, and suddenly what was dark, murky and unknown became familiar ie all those strange knobs and buttons connected to functionality.

I still miss Vegas and wonder why there's so much support for FCP. Just working in the Timeline there's alot of control missing eg hitting the spacebar is only Start/Stop, not Start/Return like Vegas. Placing the playhead only happens by clicking on the top bar, not any open space. No regions, no looping, no In/Out point time indicators, no video visible on clip itself, no overlapping clips (transitions require multiple steps), no Track Level filters, rendering ties up the app so editing stops until it's complete....lalalala.

Maybe one of these days it will just Click and I'll get FCP and see it's greatness.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

You know, After you know it's so obvious and I think they couldn't have made it any easier.

Thanks so much for the help.

Vegas is a strong program as NLE go. I really have no complaints and miss some of the features that makes it streamlined. It's usability was strong. What made me switch was the support for FCP and the fact that I didn't care much for Architect, or for that matter any of Vegas support programs. There really is no comparing when it comes to the integreation of Motion/Soundtrack/etc..., it makes usability (once learned) a strong advantage. As NLE go, Vegas goes pound to pound, but loses when you factor in the whole package.
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brickert View Post
I still miss Vegas and wonder why there's so much support for FCP.
I agree Scott, I did the same thing you did and came to the same conclusion. Went the whole route, took the 6-week course at The Edit Center, went through the Apple Pro series books, got certified, and I've been working non-stop on Final Cut for the last 8 months. In fact, I'm doing better work in FCP than I ever did in Vegas. But I still miss Vegas.
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski View Post
I agree Scott, I did the same thing you did and came to the same conclusion. Went the whole route, took the 6-week course at The Edit Center, went through the Apple Pro series books, got certified, and I've been working non-stop on Final Cut for the last 8 months. In fact, I'm doing better work in FCP than I ever did in Vegas. But I still miss Vegas.
Ok, can we just hold a Vegas Annyomous Support group for all those that have left and have doubts. I'll sign up. We like FCP, but we feel like we abandoned Vegas without cause (don't worry vegas, you're still on my PC).
Tim Kay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite