Footage getting deinterlaced in compressor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 13th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Footage getting deinterlaced in compressor

I've been following suggestions from here on workflow of HD to deliver onto a SD DVD. My DVD's are getting ghosting or artifacting when being played back on my TV. I am exporting from FCP dragging into Compressor where I then use DVD best quality. It must be deinterlacing somewhere?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I flipped through some previous posts on this and tried what they recommended with no luck. What am I doing wrong?
Josh Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Josh,

To really understand the downconversion process fully and make sure you're encoding your MPEG2 files correctly may I suggest reading this book:

Compressor 3 Quick Reference Guide, Brian Daly.

Consider it the abbreviated bible on making good encodes and how to avoid pitfalls.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Trustee

Details, we need more details. :)

What is the format of the video your converting? Interlaced? Progressive?

Also, did you check the settings in Compressor to make sure that the DVD preset you used wasn't set to Interlace?
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

well after hours and hours of stumbling through it I finally figured it out ( or so that it would burn so it looked good)
I'm editing 1440x1080 60i HD footage on an apple ProRes 422 timeline with the same render settings, I was then trying to export from either quicktime conversion or quicktime movie. I wasn't checking the interlaced box when I exported from FCP (quicktime conversion), but I thought I was having the problems with Compressor. After I did that it worked fine, unfortunately nowhere did I read before hand to check that box (maybe I'm a dumb a%& for not knowing to? And could only make it work with quicktime conversion, not export quicktime movie, why is that?
Old February 15th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #5
Trustee

Are you sure your sequence settings are set to interlaced? Also, if you look in the Browser window and scroll to the right, does it show that your imported footage is interlaced? Does it have the correct Field Dominance?

A missmatch between any of these things will cause you to have an incorrect "Export>Quicktime".

If you haven't done it already, it's a good idea to create an Easy Setup with all the correct settings that you can just open before you start on a new project.
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The only thing that I can see in the browser to see if it is interlaced or not is the field dominance (it says upper) so that means it is interlaced right? My sequence settings are set to interlaced (apple ProRes 422 settings)
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #7
Trustee

Well it sounds like I was wrong. Sounds like you have everything set correctly. You should just trace the rest of the steps in your signal path to make sure your field dominance is set correctly along the way.

For example, I know that Standard Def DVD's are lower field dominant. So there's a missmatch right there. But maybe that's okay. You'll have to do some testing on your own with this.

In my experience DVD's look better in progressive. But if you've shot and edited everything in interlace, you should probably stick with interlace.

Anyone else have advice on this?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite