Stardom Pro Drive PD2500 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 21st, 2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Major Player

Stardom Pro Drive PD2500

Anyone using these internal bays in there Mac Pro?

STARDOM - Pro Drive PD2500
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

This is a brand-new offering from Stardom, so new that one of Stardoms' largest retailers, OWC isn't offering them yet, which means it either hasn't made it to US shores yet or hasn't been tested.

It's interesting technology, putting (2) laptop drives together in a RAID 0 per drive-slot. In theory it should make any MacPro incredibly fast but I also see some potential heat issues - putting 2 laptop drives literally on top of each other with no built-in fans for cooling. For normal file access and OS usage it might not be an issue but a when Compressor or Final Cut is asked to make a long render and the drives are being hit hard over a long period of time things could get hot fast.

My suggestion would be to wait until either Bare Feats, OWC or AMUG put it through it's paces and give a review, otherwise you'd be one of the first to give it a run, and I wouldn't want to trust my machine - or my projects - to untested and unknown technology.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #3
Tourist

New Pro Drive Review PD2520

New review up on our Pro Drive for Mac Pro, see it here: Stardom PD2520 – Versatile RAID 0 Mac Pro Enclosure
Jon Schilling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite