DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Nesting Mess

I'm doing a project that has 18 separate FCP files (18 scenes). I opened a new project and started to nest the files so it would be clean and I could do my transitions from one sequence to the next. When I was finished I had a nice clean FCP project with 4 tracks and 18 nested sequences inside. This was working out great until I needed to make some changes. I started editing in the nest and not saving the actually FCP file but just the nest.

I need to start working in the FCP files again but I cant figure out how to just re-save them as a new FCP file with the changes I made. I just want to re-save each nest back to their own separate FCP file. When I double click one of the sequences in the nest it opens in a seeming new project, but if I save that it saves the entire nest and does not treat it as its own new project.

Major Problem:
When I try a work around by just doing a copy and paste into a new project, all the old / archive footage I'm using, which I had up-converted to 1920, now looks 4:3, and the 4:3 footage is some weird size. It's like it took all the archive footage and cut the resolution in half.

Did that make any sense?

** Update **
I just checked and all the images when copied and pasted into a new project (from the nest) are also brought in at the wrong aspect ratio and scaled weird......

Last edited by Oliver Darden; September 8th, 2010 at 01:45 AM.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Major Player

Should I re-word this!?.....please help! .... lol

Basically when I copy and paste from one project to the next it changes all my archive footage and pictures to half the size they are. It messes it up anamorphically.

UPDATE**
I just had my friend try the exact same thing I'm doing with the exact footage and fcp nest and it worked normal for him so it must be some setting I am over looking.

Last edited by Oliver Darden; September 8th, 2010 at 07:53 PM.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Wow, so you have 2 projects and when you update a sequence in one project the changes don't automatically update in the other project's timeline that they are nested in?

So you tried selecting all the nested clips in your timeline and copying then pasting them into a new timeline that is in the other project? If you didn't try that you should, having your clips, edits, and nested sequences in the same project should fix the problem.

But the issue of pasting your clips into a new timeline and getting distortion or the wrong size is a common one. You need to make sure your sequence settings are correct before you past an edit into it. If you have the sequence setting correct, then all you have to do is:
Select one of the clips in the timeline and hit enter to bring it into the viewer. Once in the viewer select the motion tab and check that your "size" and "distortion" are correct -you can hit the X, or type in the correct numbers manually till the clip looks right. Then copy the corrected clip in the timeline and select all the other clips. Go to "Edit>Paste Attributes" and check motion and distortion. This will make all your clips consistent.

Hope that helps.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite