DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 20th, 2003, 05:58 AM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

FCP4: CHV Text-Collection plugin update available

For those of you who have the CHV Text-Collection plugin to generate subtitles and end credits but have been unable to use it since you upgraded your FCP to version 4.0, a free update is now available.

Go to the CHV site and follow the instructions in the "News" box.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:07 PM   #2

A Follow-Up Note

The CHV Text Collection filters are still not compatible with FCP 4. They consistently crash the application.

Too bad, because it's actually a good set of text handling tools, particularly for handling rolling credits. Hopefully the developer will eventually get this product back on its feet.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What's better about the CHV plugin vs the way that FCP regularly handles scrolling credits? I've never heard of CHV and am suddenly a bit interested (if they fix whatever their problem is).
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 05:56 PM   #4

Ted,

The CHV plugin allows individual formatting of words including color, size, font, placement on the screen, etc. You also have control over gutter sizes, kerning, scrolling direction (or no scrolling), and you can add photos and graphics to the end credits as well (perhaps clips, I haven't checked on that yet).

Until this incompatibility issue sprang up with FCP4, I loved using it. The only downside was that the render times were long. This new version, once it's made FCP4 compliant, is supposed to have faster rendering times.
Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Does their Morph pluggin work in FCP 4?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:20 PM   #6

I've no idea. But I would be suspicious of any of their plug-ins FCP4 compatibility. The developer's remarks suggest that he doesn't really know what's wrong with the text plug-ins and he implicates FCP4 for his troubles. Bad sign.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old October 2nd, 2003, 10:32 PM   #7

Check out the forum on the CHV site for info related to specific plug-ins, Andrew. Earlier today I sent a message to Christoph asking him to join in the discussion here. Hopefully, he'll chime in.
Old October 3rd, 2003, 07:11 AM   #8
RED Problem Solver

As a FCP plugin developer, I've not found any plugins that I've written, so far, that work differently on FCP 4 v FCP 3, but I must admit, I've done no plugins that deal with text yet.

I develop on 3, test in 3, compile in 3, test in 4, usually with both versions of FCP open at once, to make sure that plugins work on both.

The only big issue in 4, I think is that alpha blending & YUV is handled differently - or perhaps it's just more sensitive to being done right.

The major problem for any FXscript user, is that the development environment is poor, with little or no diagnostic tools to help, and the test viewer is RGB only, which makes for testing with YUV a slow process, as FCP must be restarted each time to load the newly compiled plugin in.
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2003, 05:48 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

I'll do a bit more research before buying the "Morph"

cheers!
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #10
New Boot

Hello,

Thanks to SursumFilms I have found this thread. :-)

To your problem: I know about the crash-problem of FX-Script-plugins (which are mine). The "FCP4 has unexpectedly quit" problem is a problem of Final Cut Pro 4 (4.0 - 4.0.2).

Actually it is not possible to create a crash of Final Cut Pro with FX-Script plugins. Trust me... I have tried it and I dont have any chance to create a crash. :-)

You have to see it this way: All FX-Script plugins only "use" the internal functions of Final Cut Pro. Even if you try to devide by zero or if you try to create a way too big image-buffer or something else, Final Cut Pro does not crash. It simply tells me the error on a red screen with a "FX-Script error" message.

I have also seen that these crashes occur more often, the bigger the plugins are. Well..... My plugins are the biggest FX-Script-plugins with the most functions you can get on the market. Plugins like you see in the Text-collection are very complicated and they have to calculate quite a lot of things. This is why these plugins are so big (take a look at the size....).

We already know crashes like these with the current version of FCP4 (4.0.2). Last year before FCP3 went to the last updated version 3.0.4, FCP3 also was buggy and crashed when you have used big plugins. After Apple released the 3.0.4 update all of the problems were gone and FCP3 did not crash anymore. I (and all te others) am/are waiting for such an update of FCP4 impatiently. I hope we will see such an update soon.

Take a look into your user-folder. There you will find the file:

Library / Logs / CrashReporter / Final Cut Pro.crash.log

Open this file in a text-editor and take a look at the "Exception:" and "Codes:" lines. There you will find lots of errors like:

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x12796000

These are errors I cant possibly create with FX-Script.....

I hope Apple will solve this problem soon like they did last year with the last update of FCP3.
Christoph Vonrhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #11

Hello Christoph,
Welcome and thanks very much for stopping by and offering your comments.

As you know, we've standardized on your credit generator plug-in for the entire Lady X Films series. John Locke (in Tokyo) has had to freeze on FCP 3 and I have had to maintain a second system running FCP 3 just to accommodate your text collection plug-in. It's been worth the discomfort as the plug-in creates the best credit roll available. But we certainly look to the FCP4 compatibility problem being resolved one way or the other.

Best regards and thank you for your hard work.

Old October 12th, 2003, 05:27 AM   #12
New Boot

Hello Ken,

I understand what you mean. Do you have FCP3 on a separate Mac or do you have it on the same machine as FCP4 ? There is no problem in having both versions run on the same machine. I also have Final Cut Express installed on the same Mac.

The crash-problem of FCP4 is also a big problem for me. I receive a lot of emails asking me why this happens, what we can do about it and the only thing what I can say is, that this is a problem of FCP4 itself. If it would be some kind of a software error on my side, the problem would always happen always at the same same frame. But it does not... Sometimes you render without a problem, sometimes you have to start it 3 times.

I hope FCP4.0.3 will solve this problem, as we have seen it last year with FCP3.0.4.
Christoph Vonrhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #13

A separate Mac. Only one Mac per version. <g>

Old October 30th, 2003, 10:30 AM   #14
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Andrew Hogan : Thanks guys,

I'll do a bit more research before buying the "Morph"

cheers! -->>>

I have recently purchased this and slowly started playing around with it. As of yet, I have not had any problems with this plugin in FCP 4
DV Discussion for the rest of us
Kray Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #15
New Boot

Some good news:

After the last update (last week) of the "render-plugin" from Apple FCP4 didnt crash anymore. I seems that this problem has been solved.

Thanks Apple!

How about you, Ken ?
Christoph Vonrhein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite