DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 12th, 2003, 10:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Single User Mode Broken on 10.2.8?

I just tried to boot into single user mode because I keep getting a TON of kernel panics when using the Camino browser. But I wasn't able to type anything in single user mode. Is this a known issue with 10.2.8?
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 11:19 PM   #2
Warden

Definetly not an issue. At startup you are holding down the Apple Key, Option/Alt Key and the S Key? Did the prompt appear?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 12:39 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Just Apple + S. I get all of the single user text with the COLOR (in color) and all that. What looks like a prompt appears, but it does not flash, and I cannot type anything. I even tried typing reboot and hitting Enter, but nothing happens. This is repeatable.

Here is what I see:

Click Here

I am assuming this is related to the many kernel panics I've been having since I upgraded to 10.2.8. I really wouldn't be surprised if they were a "feature" provided by Apple in the OS to persuade users to pay the cash for 10.3.
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #4
Warden

No, you probably have a problem with the keyboard. I don't see that it loaded in the single user mode. It may well be the cause of the kernel panics.

Startup from a system install disk, DO NOT install, but choose Disk Utility and run Disk Repair (First Aid). You could do the same with Disk Warrior. It sounds like either a hardware problem (keyboard?) or a directory problem.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have run DiskWarrior (all that does is rebuild and replace the directory and defragment the disk, but is still invaluable). I am using an old Apple ADB keyboard attached with an iMate. I don't like Apple's keyboard that came with my Mac. It is small and very flimsy (blue/black keyboard). I like the keyboards that come with the current iMacs (the white ones) but Apple is charging $90 for them! It's a stinkin' keyboard! People who work at Apple are thieves.

Does anyone know of a great USB keyboard for the MAC? It must have an Apple key, and it should not be dark in colors. I like to see what I am pressing.
Old November 13th, 2003, 04:53 PM   #6
Wrangler

Sounds like it really might be your ADB keyboard then. I got a replacement for mine at CompUSA for $30. It is really a ripoff of the white Apple keyboard that comes with the new Macs, you have to look twice to tell the difference. However it has a completely different feel. The keys go "clickity clack" like the older keyboards, which I like. But after using for awhile am not so crazy about it, sometimes keys will stick.

Where did you get that $90 figure, is that Canadian maybe? The Apple store sells the new keyboards for $49 USD http://store.apple.com

I don't mind the feel of these keyboards, but they aren't very durable. I go through them at the rate of one per year...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #7
Regular Crew

OK I have a white Apple keyboard now and single user mode works fine.
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:20 PM   #8
Warden

Ted, glad it worked out and wasn't something more serious.

Boyd, if you're going through a keyboard a year, you need to type softer.

Old November 13th, 2003, 09:56 PM   #9
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Boyd, if you're going through a keyboard a year, you need to type softer. -->>>

Or less? ;-) Seriously, these new Apple keyboards don't seem very robust. In addition to my own I have seen several of them wear out on our machines at work. But I suppose if a machine is used primarily for graphics or video editing it wouldn't see the same sort of abuse...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite