Help! Having problems compositing graphics over video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 9th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help! Having problems compositing graphics over video

I'm trying to superimpose a graph over some video footage. I made the graph with a pure black background and exported it as a quicktime movie (millions of colors + alpha channel) using animation compression. The problem is when I set the tranfer mode in either FCP or After Effects to Screen mode, the background video bleeds slightly through the bars of the graph, which are colors like solid red, yellow and blue. I've tried using other transfer modes like add, overlay, etc. but nothing works. I'm I doing something wrong? Any suggestions?
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Try making the graph in Photoshop if you have it. Make sure it has at least one layer in addition to the background. Layer 1 will be your graph, but make sure that it is transparent to the background layer below it (instead of black where you want it to be transparent). Then make the background layer transparent. Save as a PSD file and import into FCP. FCP will layer the graph over the video perfectly when you drag it to the timeline above the video layer.

I hope that makes sense.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2003, 07:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice, Ted.

Unfortunately creating the graph in Photoshop is not an option, as it uses motion (the chart flies in and the bars of the graph grow over time). I made the graph using Apple's Keynote software to save time animating the graph. Animating it as Photoshop layers in Final Cut Pro would take too long.
Old November 10th, 2003, 06:11 AM   #4
Warden

Do the bars grow in a linear fashion, ie upward?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2003, 07:51 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The bars do grow upward in some cases, but they are in front of a grid, so I am not able to simply animate them with a mask.
Old November 11th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Can you not simply key it using black as they key color, instead of using transfer modes?

For example, I've imported Poser avi movies into Premiere and set the Transparency to key out the background color and that seems to work well.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:32 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've tried exporting the graphs with a solid black background and then using a chromakey filter to key it out, but it was a lot of work to get it to look decent around the edges. Plus it won't work on graphs that use dark shadows underneath the graphics. There is no Key Transfer (composite) mode in Final Cut Pro that I'm aware of.
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:42 AM   #8
Warden

You should be able to do a vertical wipe between the two frames to get your vertical animation.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 06:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

My graphs usually have grids and other images in the background, so I can't do a simple wipe to animate the bars.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite