Applying widescreen filter in FCE at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 16th, 2003, 04:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Applying widescreen filter in FCE

Is there an easier way of adding the widescreen filter to Final Cut sequences? As my film consist of many clips on many different layers/tracks it seems like a bit of a headache to have to apply the widescreen filter to every clip.

Surely there must be an easier way?
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Yes, but you must own Adobe Photoshop. Create a new 720x480 document with two layers. On the upper layer, create your widescreen bars to whatever aspect you need them to be. Delete the bottom layer. Now everything but the bars will be transparent. Save as dawidescreenbarzyo.psd and import into Final Cut Amateur... err... Express. It'll probably change into a sequence of it's own. Set the timing of that sequence to however long you need it to be. Drag it on top of all the other layers. Render. Wait. Come back. Get mad that something went wrong. Repeat until it works.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2003, 10:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Is there a "Matte Setting" FCE? Just wondering.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 03:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

There is a matt folder in filters - this has widescreen filter in it. Is that what you mean, Sharon?

Thanks for the tips - weird and surprising that there isn't an easier way of doing it within Final Cut (Amateur - very amusing) itself without havin to resort to creating and importing bars from a separate application...?
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Well you can also download mattes if you don't have Photoshop. I think the Lady X webpage has a standard 16:9 matte you can download. I don't know the URL, though.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thank you as I do not own FCE it is good to know what they provide.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 04:53 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Can't you use the motion controls and crop to apply letterboxing?

2- FCE supports nesting. Draw your master sequence into a new sequence. right click the nest and open in viewer. Go into the motion controls tab and apply cropping. Use the widescreen filter as a guide.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:41 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That sounds a good one - thanks.

Nesting sequences was one thing I had been doing which seemed to make things a little simpler. One problem I had though was that, on a normal clip, the widescreen filter allows you to shift the image up or down (to get the ideal crop). This doesn't seem to work on nested sequences. Double clicking a nested sequence doesn't open the sequence in the viewer it opens the original clips in the timeline...?
Old December 18th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You have to right click the nest and select the open in viewer option. I think there's another way to do that. It would probably involve holding shift or crtl and while double clicking.

To get the ideal crop:
You could use the motion controls on the clip to move it up/down. It's in the nest so the cropping gets applied afterwards. Perhaps the widescreen filter will help you visualize what happens (or give you the correct numbers to put into the motion controls).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 05:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Great - thanks for that Glenn, I'll give it a try.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite