New Apple Products at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 6th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

New Apple Products

I thought this would be the time they'd announce the color LCD in the iPod, as well as built-in recording capability (without requiring the Bekin add-on).

The new mini iPod is cool...but I'm holding out for those two features.

Any thoughts on the new iLife? Since I already have "Soundtrack" I'm not sure it's worth it.
Old January 6th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I think it's worth it for the newer app called GarageBand. As for the other apps in iLife they will not be given away for free anymore the way it looks.

It may have not been the best releases for Apple however they did walk away with a ton of apps that are now supporting Panther all the way.

Steve Jobs made sure that it was noted that there are over 10,000 applications for OS X. It was good to see that Adobe, Macromedia, Quark, and Microsoft are still holding on to OS X. The only major lose was Adobe Premiere as it is still another app that Apple lost in the long run.

So was it good for Apple not really as they did not shatter the speed they need in their computers to keep up with the others out there.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 11:25 PM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Anyone know if there is any speculation about when iPods will be capable of viewing DV?
Old January 7th, 2004, 12:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Look all that was presented this week and this is only January so there will be one soon enough.

Alpine's iPod Ready in-dash receivers will allow iPod users seamless control of up to 10,000 songs easily in their car,"

TEN Technology is demoing naviPlay, a Bluetooth wireless stereo adapter for 3G iPods. It includes a Bluetooth adapter that attaches to the iPod's dock connector, and a BT headphone adapter that allows use of any stereo headphones or speakers with a standard 3.5mm stereo plug.

Griffin Technology today announced the iTalk Voice Recorder for the iPod. The stylish matching accessory snaps directly on top of any "3G" (third-generation) iPod and turns it into a fully functional voice recorder and playback device.

XtremeMac today announced its SportWrap iPod Armband ($30), allow users to conveniently strap their iPod their arm during physical activity

So I believe that there will moves towards that by the end of the year if you have to find out sooner look at the sites below or http://www.thinksecret.com/ or http://www.macrumors.com/ as they are always on top of things.

These sites are iPod only so look for them.

• iPodHacks.com
• iPoding
• Apple iPod Extras
• PodMaster 1000
• PodWriter
• Pod2Go
Old January 7th, 2004, 12:12 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I fail to see the purpose for GarbageBand's existence. It does EXACTLY what Sountrack does, only it looks ever so slightly different. It probably has the same loops.

What's the point? Help!
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The more I look at it seems that Apple might be going by the way of Pro Tools, Logic, etc. as to this app giving way to what Apple did with FCP in the long run. It also has a better Record with any USB or MIDI keyboard, guitar or microphone. Also it is said to have more effects and the use of plugins.

Go and check out the gear they are throwing out with the realease.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/accessories.html
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #7
Major Player

Re: New Apple Products

<<<-- Originally posted by John Locke : I thought this would be the time they'd announce the color LCD in the iPod, as well as built-in recording capability (without requiring the Bekin add-on).

The rumor sites have been speculating about this for a long time with one site suggesting a macro iPod that would do video. The only support for such speculation is that Apple is currently (recently) hired a person for their iPod group familiar with both audio and video compression codecs.
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:48 PM   #8
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Ted Springer : I fail to see the purpose for GarbageBand's existence. It does EXACTLY what Sountrack does,-->>>

Maybe I misunderstood, but I don't think they're the same at all. GarageBand will let you plug in a MIDI keyboard, microphone, guitar - whatever - and lay down multiple tracks with different instuments. I guess it also does loops ala SoundTrack, but I think the real appeal of GarageBand is that you can become a one-man composer/orchestra/singer. See:

http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/record.html
http://www.apple.com/ilife/garageband/play.html

Actually I have been meaning to look at applications which do exactly this, so it sounds pretty cool to me...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #9
Inner Circle

GarageBand is totally overhyped. A radio ad mentioned that it's never been easier to record music and that GarageBand allows you to do what used to require $100,000s of dollars of equipment in a backroom studio. Yeah, right.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 07:13 PM   #10
Wrangler

So the question is...does Soundtrack do anything that Garage Band doesn't?
Old January 7th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #11
Wrangler

Does soundtrack let you plug in a MIDI keyboard and record individual tracks sampled like different instruments? I didn't think it could do that, but have really never looked too deeply into it. I thought Soundtrack just let you combine pre-recorded loops to create "canned" accompaniment.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 08:10 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Sounds like GarbageBand totally KILLS Soundtrack. Soundtrack can only do loops and is not very versatile. Good thing Soundtrack costs more!

But GarbageBand can't be all that great... caertainly not for $49. Something has to be comprimised somewhere.
Ted Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 12:05 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Gints you have a point as to the hype, however if you recall how small FCP 1 was when it came out of the box. No one thought that this little app was worth it. Look at it now as it drives the Mac world at this time more than any other app.
Sharon Fraats is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite