Upgrading to Panther? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 12th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #16
Warden

Justin, I don't think you'll get significant improvement in rendering times just by going to Panther. A few things are noticeably faster, but rendering is processor intensive and a new OS will not help. My comments, as I stated, are for older iMacs (G3's) and G5's. You'll get the most improvement by maxing out your ram, and then moving to Panther. You will not notice a big improvement by going to Panther alone. I would guess that my wife's G4 iMac saw a 10% overall improvement by upgrading to Panther.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 04:35 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Well... I've done it. Upgraded to Panther 10.3.2 last night. And, I'm pleased to say that I encountered no problems at all and things seem to be running very smoothly. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice in persuading me to take the plunge.

One final LITTLE query (sorry Jeff). I did 'Archive and Install' which (as you know) backs up all the software and files etc in a 'Previous system' folder Does the NEW system actually refer to this folder at all. If I find that nothing seems to be missing from my new set-up can I delete this folder?

Thanks again!
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #18
Warden

No, the new system does not refer to files in your old system folder. I would leave it for a week or two and if nothing is missing go ahead and delete it. If you need the space sooner, just look at some of the files and compare the folder and files to your new system.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2004, 07:08 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks.
Justin Morgan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite