DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM   #1
Tourist

from HD 16:9 to DV 4:3

Hey guys,
first of all it's my first post on this forum, even if it has always been a great help for my job. so thanks in advance!
so, i made a commercial shooted in DVCPRO 720p, and i made all the work in a timeline with the same settings (DVCPRO HD 50, progressive etc.).
Now, since i need to make a master that's a 4:3 DV-Pal, i export my timeline and put it directly into a DV-pal one, so that it will directly match the frame size to a 4:3 letterbox. obviously there's a loss of quality since it's a DV timeline, but i can't really understand why the footage suddenly appears to be interlaced, even if the setting of the DV timeline is progressive. i mean, watching it in a TV monitor it has the smoothness of a progressive footage, but some strange lines (really similar to the one of a bad interlaced) appears in the footage.
any idea and/or suggestion? what am i missing? thanks in advance!
michele
Michele Stocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

These are likely scaling artifacts going from HD to SD. I am PC based, so not sure the solution for Mac, but in PC world Vdub using Lanczos3 or bilinear seems to provide the best scaling.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Michele: First of all, Welcome to the Forum and may you find the answer to you problem here.

On a matter of protocol: You have posted the same issue to two Sub Forums. That is in violation of DVI Forum policy. In future, it's best to figure out (or TRY...) which forum a question is best suited to.

Again, welcome and good luck!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

Threads merged into the NLE Editing on the Mac forum. Yes, unfortunately a by-product of the recent site upgrade is that the menu ribbon with the TOS / Rules link is missing so new members can't read them. We'll get that fixed as soon as possible after NAB.

And of course, a warm welcome to you Michele!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Do you have access to Compressor 3? Tried that route?
(exporting in HD out of Final Cut Pro, convert in Compressor)
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #6
Tourist

ehm, sorry about the double post, it won't happen again.
i tried with compressor, and the result is better... so stupid i didn't think about that since i use compressor 10 times per day. i just thought that FCP could do a good job recompressing the movie in a DV timeline. but obviously, let do the job to who can do the job!
the only weird thing that happens is that i have to change the field dominance of the exported footage once i import it in FCP since it says to me lower field, even if in the compressor preferences i leave the field dominance as "same as the output" (same things happens if i change it to "progressive"). what does it happen? i had the same problem exporting from After effects to FCP (i was told that it's a problem of bad communication between software).
maybe for this reason the lines even if are much smaller are still there. or is it a problem of the low quality of the DV compression?
Michele Stocco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite