Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 27th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #1
New Boot

Video Pulsing Problem

Hi,
I am still a rookie and searched for a similar problem, but didn't see anything so I thought that I would ask.

I videotaped an event last weekend with two Canon XH A1 cameras. I taped in 3 different locations. After capturing the video to my computer, the video from the first two locations looks fine, but the video shot in the last location has a slight "pulse" every 1/2 second or so where the brightness and color changes very slightly. I can see it on the Canvas and on the Waveform scope.

Any ideas what is causing it. It was taped in 1080i60 at 29.97. First I thought that the problem was caused because the sequence was set to anamorphic DV, but when I viewed it in HDV, it had the same problem. It is not real noticeable, but I noticed it. Is it a lighting issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian
Brian Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

could be that you filmed in an interior and the light frequency was messing with the shot as the shutter settings were not in balance with the light source ( for example this is really noticeable when filming a computer screen).
I Always manage to avoid this problem, but perhaps a de flicker plugin can fix your image.
Jonathan Massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Jonathan,
thank you for taking the time to help.

A "deflicker" plug-in? I have never heard of that, but it is a good suggestion and I will do a search and see what I can find.

Thank you.

Brian
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

If you shot in any auto-exposure mode it could also have been the camera making constant white-balance and exposure changes, the pulsing might be minute shutter-speed changes made by the camera - at not too uncommon issue when in auto modes.

If you could up load a few seconds of the clip we could better identify the possible cause and solution.
Old May 28th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi Robert.
Thank you for taking the time to help.

The video was shot in auto-exposure mode and I think that your analysis is correct.

Assuming that is the issue, can you suggest a fix?

I see that there is a "deflicker" filter in FCP. Would that help?

I also read a post that suggested that there is an After Effects filter that might help. Any detail on that would be appreciated.

I will get some of the footage up in a little bit also.

Brian
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Go Go Godzilla

If the problem is in fact auto-exposure "pumping" then a de-flicker filter won't help, de-flicker is actually used for a something unrelated to exposure so it wouldn't help anyway.

Unless you're in a constantly changing lighting situation that makes it impossible to track manually such as a fast-moving event (reality TV comes to mind) you should *always* be shooting in full-manual exposure. Any auto-exposure should be limited to iris (aperture) and white-balance only and shutter-speed should always remain fixed.

It would take an expensive session in a professional color-correction facility to manually correct these pumping issues frame-by-frame, so you may be stuck with the final result. Until I see a clip however I can't offer any method for masking the problem.
Old May 31st, 2009, 12:01 PM   #7
Major Player

I just updated a post I started about this. Here is the link to a clip that I made of what is happening to me.

www.chaddyleproductions.com/video/sample.mov (Right click, "Save As")
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Trustee

What format is that MOV? Quicktime can't open it on my computer.
Old June 1st, 2009, 06:22 PM   #9
Go Go Godzilla

Right, that clip is either corrupt or isn't in a supported format that any Mac-based player can handle. I haven't seen a clip from Brian's issue either.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite