DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 9th, 2009, 04:21 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Just wondering though, if it's the same card as the new plain MB, no expresscard, what exactly makes it a MBP? Firewire?
It looks like they just took the old macbooks and just relabeled it as pro since the last generation of macbooks look just like the mbp. The 13" is limited to 5400rpm HD, not pro at all. The white macbook now just look like a neglected step-child.
Min Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
edit: I checked the site, I'm all mixed up, coulda sworn the MB's went from plastic to aluminum. And I'm positive there was no firewire cuz people were grumbling. Now they've got firewire again. I can't keep up.
It is somewhat confusing. Back in January or so, the macbook went aluminum and lost it's firewire port. Now it's been upgraded to pro status with a firewire 800 port and a SD card reader. They also sold a basic white plastic model.

Today, the only "macbook" available is the white plastic model.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #18
Trustee

The Nvidia 9400 works great for FCP. The gpu isn't used as much in FCP as you would think it is.

This is not a Intel graphics chip but a proper Nvidia video adapter. Yes it is built into the motherboard and yes it shares ram with your system but other then that it is still Nvidia.

There was a 20" Imac at an Apple store near where I live. I went in to see how well FC Studio would work with the Nvidia 9400. FCP, DVD SP, and Motion all worked great. Motion may not have had the same level of RT performance but then again we are not talking about a huge boost in gpu speed with a Nvidia 9600 either. As a test I opened up the same demo projects on a MBP in the store with an Nvidia 9600 and they only ran a few fps faster. I personally found that Motion lagged no matter what sub Mac Pro system was used. It didn't really matter if it was a White MB, a MBP, a Mac Mini or a Imac. In fact for the most part they all seem to perform about the same give or take 6% to 40% render speed. Cutting and moving things around and doing stuff seemed to work about the same across the board with Apple.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 12:11 AM   #19
Regular Crew

awesome, a 13" MBP might be in my future.
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite