DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 7th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Monitoring Video With iMac?

I'm currently editing on a PC with Premiere Pro 1.5 and I have a little TV next to my computer. Can I do this using an iMac with Premiere Pro CS4?

-seth
Seth Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, you should be able to send your video over Firewire, through a deck/camera/Firewire converter that has analog outputs, to your TV.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 * Set up a device for device control
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Anderson View Post
Yes, you should be able to send your video over Firewire, through a deck/camera/Firewire converter that has analog outputs, to your TV.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 * Set up a device for device control
I currently have a Sony DSR-11 deck and that's what I've been using...I just wasn't sure if that would affect the 16x9 footage I would be editing. I would plan on having my monitor to be an LCD widescreen TV...would the aspect ration on the monitor be correct?

-seth
Seth Mondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Mondragon View Post
would the aspect ratio on the monitor be correct?
Yes, if your TV has the ability to stretch a 4x3 signal out to fit the 16x9 screen. DV and DVCam footage shot in widescreen actually records to tape as standard 720x480 at a 4x3 aspect ratio NTSC. Look at the footage on a 4x3 monitor, everyone looks tall and skinny. Look at it on a 16x9 monitor with a "Stretch" mode, and it looks perfect.

The (discontinued) DSR-11 did not inherently deal with widescreen footage, so there's no letterbox output for 4x3 monitors or similar controls. But, like I said, your LCD monitor probably has a setting that will work.
Scott Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite