Audio out of sync after capture in FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Audio out of sync after capture in FCP

I've captured about twenty-seven 8mm tapes with a Sony Digital8 camcorder. After watching through the footage, I found with six of the tapes the audio was out of sync. I've determined that these tapes were most likely shot with the same Digital8 camcorder I'm using to capture. All of the footage shot on the older analog 8mm camcorder is fine.

I did a search and read up on the issue with incorrect audio sample rates. I used 32.000 kHz 16 bit. If I captured at 48.000 I received an error saying the audio could end up out of sync. I checked the audio setting on the Digital8 camcorder and it was at the default 12 bit, so I'm assuming that's the setting that was used when the footage was recorded.

To make sure this wasn't an issue only within FCP, I watched the .mov files in Quicktime and the audio is still out of sync. I also imported one of the tapes into iMovie 09 and the audio was fine. But I'd prefer to capture into FCP because I wasn't happy with the quality after exporting a Quicktime file from iMovie.

What would cause the audio to fall out of sync on the tapes shot with the Digital8 camcorder? Aside from the sample rate, are there any other setting I can play with so I can capture the entire tape and not have an issue with the audio? I'm using FCP 5.1.4 and Quicktime Pro 7.6.2.
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The issue has been kind of resolved. I recaptured one of the tapes at 48k rather than 32k. This time FCP did not give me the out of sync error. The footage was in sync up until the last minute or so, which isn't a big deal to me.
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite