New ProRes- what is it, and what do you use it for? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 29th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Major Player

New ProRes- what is it, and what do you use it for?

Greetings.

I was wondering if someone could clarify this.

I understand that the there were previously two ProRes422 formats before FCS3 came out. One was Good Quality, and the other best quality (HQ). So that made the choice pretty easy.

Could someone briefly explain the new ProRes codecs in layman terms. I think the 4444 version is for real heavy duty if you are doing a motion picture for theatrical release use.

And also, when and how would you use these new codecs? What situations would the new ProRes codecs be good for, for example? What's the advantage over plain old 422 or 422(HQ)?

Help I'm drowning...

Thanks for this.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Apple has already written a nice piece about this.
Enjoy.
http://images.apple.com/finalcutstud..._July_2009.pdf
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #3
Major Player

Christopher,

Thanks for that, saved and will print that out.

As to workflow, would it still make sense to import via firewire using the 422 or 422HQ codec into FC, edit, and then on export, use one of the oterh codecs depending on use?

For example, after I've finished editing in a 422 (non HQ, for disk space considerations), and I know that I'll be doing two things with my project. First, going to DVD and second a small-ish web video for my web site, say 360 pxls wide.

So for the web version would I export using the PR LT or proxy version for lower data rate? I watched the Ripple training video on the new prores, and it did say that the LT was for broadcast, but not sure if that includes internet. Proxy is still a mystery, unless you just use that "work print" stuff.

And for the DVD version, use something higher like plain PR422 to compressor?

Let me know if I'm completely lost.

Thanks for your help.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Jonathan,

I think the LT and Proxy versions are like offline edits. So you work with lower quality footage which you replace at the end with HQ footage for your final render. This makes it easier to edit on for example macbooks.

I am sure someone can give a more detailed description.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Please read the 2009 white paper, as all of this is explained.
Proxy is the lowest bit-rate of the pro-res codecs. It allows for full resolution playback at "draft" quality. MacBook Pro supports 5 streams of 1920x1080, 23.98 FPS playback with the Proxy codec, verses two of Pro-Res HQ. It's all about data rate here since Pro-Res preserves the spacial resolution.
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite