Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 12th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Phillip's workflow is spot on.
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:33 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

I still can't get anything to cooperate. I exported a quicktime file last night and then tried importing it into compressor.....no dice. It just hangs there and never makes any progress. I trashed my preference files and tried to export using quicktime again and it still isn't working. I'm at a loss here. Are there any other processes I can try? I gues I am really SOL here. Do I reinstall FCP? I really just want to get this thing done and over with. Any additional help would be great! Thanks again guys!

Ryan
Old August 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #18
Inner Circle

It sounds like the problem may with Compressor. Can you check this by importing & using your 'usual preset' for a file that you know successfully worked in the past. If that doesn't work then try one of the standard Apple supplied DVD presets.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:43 AM   #19
Inner Circle

You do open Batch Monitor if you render in Compressor right?

Because it's the Batch Monitor that tells you the progress of your batch...

As told here, I always export in FCP as a Quicktime Movie in the current and original settings, thus having a 'Master', self contained of course. I'm still on FCS 2, but if I exported via Compressor, straight from FCP, I always got lockups.
So if I have that self contained Quicktime, I never get problems rendering that.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #20
Go Go Godzilla

Ryan,

When you say Compressor "just sits there" are you meaning that it looks as if nothing is happening at all and you don't get a "time to finish" estimate window, or just that things are in-progress but just taking longer than you think it should?

If things aren't working or responding at all that tells me you've got a system that needs maintenance. Download and Onyx (free app) and run ALL it's cleaning and maintenance routines and reboot. If things still aren't working properly after that then you've got more serious problems.
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
It sounds like the problem may with Compressor. Can you check this by importing & using your 'usual preset' for a file that you know successfully worked in the past. If that doesn't work then try one of the standard Apple supplied DVD presets.
Nigel, Thanks for the responce. I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a whirl and let you know what happens. Thanks!
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
You do open Batch Monitor if you render in Compressor right?

Because it's the Batch Monitor that tells you the progress of your batch...

As told here, I always export in FCP as a Quicktime Movie in the current and original settings, thus having a 'Master', self contained of course. I'm still on FCS 2, but if I exported via Compressor, straight from FCP, I always got lockups.
So if I have that self contained Quicktime, I never get problems rendering that.
Mathieu, I did export a quicktime movie and it is not a reference. Is the batch monitor the small window below the preview window? that's the only place I knew of to check progress. If there is another option I'd love to know. I look around compressor and see if there is anything else. I did wind up just dropping the quicktime movie into idvd and it seems to be going fine. We'll see what the final product looks like on the tv. I still want to use dvdsp so I can do my own menus and chapters though. Thanks!

Ryan
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:44 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
Ryan,

When you say Compressor "just sits there" are you meaning that it looks as if nothing is happening at all and you don't get a "time to finish" estimate window, or just that things are in-progress but just taking longer than you think it should?

If things aren't working or responding at all that tells me you've got a system that needs maintenance. Download and Onyx (free app) and run ALL it's cleaning and maintenance routines and reboot. If things still aren't working properly after that then you've got more serious problems.
Robert, Compressor just continues to say "unknown finish time" in the estimate window. Maybe I'll try onyx. My hard drive on my mac is pretty much full. Would that have something to do with this? Thanks!
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Ok.....I have a little update. I'm still having trouble with compressor and the video in question, BUT I opened another project that I finished a while back and exported it using both quicktime and quicktime conversion. Both came out just fine.

If somebody could help me out here I'd be willing to pay for your services. I really would like to get this figured out. Thanks!

Ryan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite