DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 23rd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Matrox CompressHD

Has anyone purchased this card? If so what are you finding for rendering quality and speed at H.264?
Old August 24th, 2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Paul

I've got a Matrox MXO2MAX I/O box which has the same compression hardware built-in as used in the CompressHD card. Whilst H264 compression is not my primary use for the box I'm still very happy to report that the quality and speed of its encodes are second to none, so if fastest compression with maximum versatility (including encoding H264 for Blu-ray) is your aim then it really can't be beat. Craig Seeman, who knows a thing or two about compression, wrote a nice review of the CompressHD which was posted recently over on the COW website ... heres the link: Matrox CompressHD races to the H.264 finish line : Matrox Video Systems

That said, whilst you are looking at such H264 hardware compression devices, there's also the extremely cost effective Elgato Turbo 264 HD which is a usb based hardware encoder that does a very nice job. Not quite as versatile or as fast as the CompressHD, it doesn't offer H264 for Bluray encoding nor will it encode at quite such a high bitrate as the CompressHD (but do you really need such very high bitrate encodes?) it nonetheless packs a great punch for its price and is a very worthy contender.

If you've any specific question about the CompressHD then please just fire away, if I don't have the answers myself then I dare say I can get them. If you've questions about the Turbo 264 HD then fire away with those too, as I'm sure their owners club will be more than happy to chime in.

Hope it helps
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Andy,

Great information. Looks like this could fit the bill for my system to expand my options in the direction I am headed.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Wrangler

Also, I was just reading the Snow Leopard technical specs. Quicktime is listed as being able to use the NVIDIA 9400M graphics chip to accelerate H.264.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Just for clarity Michael, the hardware acceleration noted in the Snow Leopard / Quicktime X specs is relating to hardware assisted video playback of already encoded H264 files, leaving your computer’s CPU free for other tasks.

The CompressHD / Turbo 264HD devices offer dedicated hardware encoding of H264.

Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite