DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old September 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

burned in subtitles. . any shortcuts?

There's a fest in France I want to submit to with my english-language short. They request a subtitled (English subtitles, that is) submission copy. I don't want to do anything fancy with selectable subtitles, just want to simply make a copy that has the subtitles burned in as part of the video.

I know there is a program out there where you can somehow convert your script to subtitles and tell each line where to be in the video, but my script likely doesn't match word for word what ended up on tape, especially after cutting out a third of the original length of the film.

So my idea was to simply use FCP, and make another video layer with the text, and just enter however much fits on a couple lines, bit by bit, line by line, 'til I'm done.

Thoughts?

Any standard for font size, type, how to indicate something is being said by an off-camera character, how to indicate something is being said by someone on a TV the characters are watching (if we don't see said TV's picture?)

Thanks.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Just keep them within the title safe margins and you'll be set. And check on a 20" TV or so just to see how they look. Check out other movies with the subtitles on for pointers.

Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite