Apple announces HDV support via Final Cut Express HD and iMovie HD - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #31
Trustee

I think you may be right because I've seen no mention anywhere in regards to the Z1...like it doesn't exist. The Sony president didn't mention it (but, did mention the FX1) when he talked about the broadcast market that Sony takes care of.

All signs point to a decent sized announcement for the "Pro" users. There is no way in a million years that Apple could include HDV abilities with this latest offering and exclude it from Pro users....at least for not longer than a couple weeks? It would be very strange, but the thing that makes this seem almost normal? They are aligning the products name-wise..meaning, "iMovie HD", "Final Cut Express HD" and "Final Cut Pro HD". If the marketing departments are behind this whole thing - it probably means we're already "in the fold" as far as they're concerned.
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:02 AM   #32
Trustee

Hey Charles, thanks man! This is the first time I've mentioned it anywhere...maybe I should delete that part? Juuusssttt in case.......
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:34 AM   #33
Major Player

Re: Apple announces HDV support via Final Cut Express HD and iMovie HD

<<<-- Originally posted by Kyle Harmon : iMovie will be part of the iLife '05 package and will ship on 1/22/05 for $79.

Final Cut Express HD will cost $299 or Final Cut Express version 1 or 2 users can upgrade for $99. It features HDV support and will also include LiveType and Soundtrack, and will Apple store is indicating 3-4 weeks on shipping.
-->>>

Gah! well, then I'm off to eat my hat! It's really good news I suppose but I hate being wrong!

<<<-- Apple has not announced any HDV upgrades for Final Cut Pro HD yet.

http://www.apple.com/finalcut/
-->>>

Can't be long now though...

It's funny those people saying they'd dumped all their macs to go over to PC, just a month or so's wait and they could saved a packet just by getting FCE-HD, at least until FCP updates.

My guess as to why FCP-HD doesn't yet support HDV would be around timecode issues. For pro work, batch catpure is essential, and I can see a lot of people planning a workflow of capturing in DV (to maximise realtime editing capabilities) before onlining with HDV.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

You won't be able to capture in DV then online in HDV, though it may happen if that timecode issue is resolved. I don't want to shell out $300 for FCEHD, so I'll just buy iMovie HD for 10 bucks and call it a day.

heath
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #35
Major Player

Heath, I don't specifically KNOW of any time code issues. However seeing as how much of FCP's funtionality is based around timecode (compared to FCE and iMovie which have NO TC functionality) I was just making an educated guess.

Does anyone know if there are specific problems in handling HDV timecode?
Old January 13th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #36
Major Player

I'm interested to see if you can use Apple's DVCProHD codec with iMovie (which up till now, will only export a DV stream). You could then capture in iMovie, and export a DVCProHD file for FCP.

I don't think it's going to happen - iMovie HD will probably only deal with streams as well - but it would be nice work around until the update.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #37
MPS Digital Studios

Dylan,

Check out our report on free-run timecode and the Z1 and the comparison chart between the FX1 and the Z1. There are timecode issues which means with the FX1, for now, could only be done with capture now.

Joshua,

I don't believe you can export DVCPro HD from iMovie.

heath
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #38
Major Player

<<<-- Joshua,

I don't believe you can export DVCPro HD from iMovie.

heath -->>>

I know you can't do it now. And I'm pretty sure it won't be a feature of iMovieHD - it was just a thought about a possible work around.
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #39
MPS Digital Studios

Joshua,

When you can find it, let us know! I know I'm interested! But I'd rather avoid doing more to edit, I like plug-and-play, and I'm okay with iMovie HD for a little while.

heath
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #40
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : Dylan,

Check out our report on free-run timecode and the Z1 and the comparison chart between the FX1 and the Z1. There are timecode issues which means with the FX1, for now, could only be done with capture now.
-->>>

Heath - I'm probably going blind or something (after marking so much student work) but I couldn't see anything on those pages that refer to timecode problems on the FX1. It seems to me that the FX1 has the same limitations as the VX1000 (no programmable TC. Drop Frame Only on NTSC etc) while the Z1 has what the PD150/170 has (programmable time code, user bits, TC regen, TC make etc).

I'm not sure what this has to do with the lack of a batch capture option. VX1000s could be used to batch capture with DV, I'm sure the FX1 be used for the DV batch capture, just not in HDV mode, and I have a feeling it's the same for the Z1.
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:08 PM   #41
MPS Digital Studios

If I'm not mistaken, you wouldn't be able to batch capture HD10/HD1/FX1 footage. Something about the timecode not going over the firewire cable, but again, I might be wrong here.

heath
Old January 14th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #42
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : If I'm not mistaken, you wouldn't be able to batch capture HD10/HD1/FX1 footage. Something about the timecode not going over the firewire cable, but again, I might be wrong here.

heath -->>>

When I control playback and capture of my HD10 footage with DVHSCap, I see some numbers that resemble timecode. As far as I'm concerned that is timecode. My guess is that timecode isn't part of the HDV spec, but timecode is written on the tapes anyhow for some good reason. It shouldn't be a huge feat of engineering to associate those timecode like numbers with the footage, but of course I/B/P frame issues probably get in the way.

Given that, and my experience with iMovie 2 and 3, I'm guessing iMovie 5 will cut out the first (for sure) and last (maybe) GOP as it captures HDV. The reason for this is to hide the inherent audio lag in new clips (clips as iMovie understands them - everything between a start-and-stop-record).
Murad Toor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite