Nattress filters for HDV? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 7th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #16
RED Problem Solver

As far as I can tell, HDV support is still sketchy, even in apps which "support" it. The only company that's on the ball with this seems to be, from their spec sheet and press at least, is Canopus. Everyone else is doing some kind of hack to make it work, it would seem. Apple has tried to make it work in iMovie, but what a pain. Same with FCE. We don't know what they're going to do in the future for FCP5 though - might be better.

However, I lay the blame squarely at JVC and Sony for not putting out a HDV deck with HD SDI inputs / outputs, or by making sure that the fabled firewire to HD SDI converter box was available. If they're done that, anyone could have easily edited HDV with any industry standard high def edit suite with no problems at all. Yes, this is not the cheapest of routes, but it has a solid workflow that's out there now, and every real pro HD editing suite can take HD SDI. This would have given time for the consumer level editors and firewire direct convenience to have been fully sorted out without leaving people high and dry.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:54 PM   #17
Major Player

HDV- Film Effects-FCP 5 settings

Graeme,

Huge fan of your stuff. Been using it for DV footage for awhile with incredible results. Anyways, just bought an FX1 and was curious as to the workflow you would suggest? I have applied some of the Film Effects to soem HDV footage with less than desirable results.
Old June 27th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #18
RED Problem Solver

Daniel, thanks! HDV is "upper" field, so that's the first setting you should change. After that, I'd have to see your footage to help you better. Email me off board if you want as I don't seem to be getting those handy emails when people reply to posts....

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite