DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #1
Major Player

Nattress filters for HDV?

This might be a bit premature, with FCP 5 coming and not sure what the HDV support is going to look like, but is there anything to know about using Nattress filters with HD material?

I've fallen in love with the filter set and was just curious if the filters I have will work with HDV in FCP whenever FCP supports HDV.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #2
RED Problem Solver

They are working great! I've converted HDV footage to both DVCproHD and Uncompressed 8bit 4:2:2 for editing, and applied the filters and the results are very nice indeed - so much better than the CF24 mode it's not funny. Basically, the only thing that upsets filters, I find, is MPEG2 type footage, which FCP just doesn't like. As long as the footage is in a nice, edit friendly codec, the filters just work great. Glad you're enjoying them,

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:01 PM   #3
Trustee

Graeme, anyway we can see some HDV footage converted using your filters? I'm definately interested in them.
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #4
RED Problem Solver

Best thing to do is just download the demos and try it out for yourself. I don't have the bandwidth or my own copyright free HDV footage to demo on. I was very surprised with the results, and though they looked good - very 16mm film like to my eyes.

Graeme
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #5
Trustee

Ok. thanks...
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #6
Major Player

Graeme,

Sounds good. I'm glad to hear they will work with the material.

I'm sure I can find this info pretty quick, but are all HD formats (including HDV) the same field order? I thought I saw somewhere that DVCproHD was upper field and I didn't know if HDV was the same or not.

One of the things I love about your filters is that you can be an idiot to use them and get great results, or you can tweak them and get great results. I fall into the first category. So simple stuff like getting the field orders correct can trip me up.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #7
RED Problem Solver

HDV is upper field, DV, DVCpro50 and DVCproHD are lower I think. Once you've got the right settings in FCP, it's easy enough to make a custom "favourite" so that you don't have to worry about getting them right again.

Graeme
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM   #8
Trustee

Graeme, my email crashed and I can't get back into it! I think the file(s) you sent are to big for my server. :(
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #9
RED Problem Solver

Darn!

I'll sort it out and get back to you.

Graeme
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #10
Trustee

My email server re-set itself...I got them. Thanks!!
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:22 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Let me just put in my two cents about the glories of Nattress...One of the best deals in all of christendom. For $100, we've made some of the prettiest footage we've ever had. Can't wait to try it on the Z1 footage we're shooting this weekend.

Graeme, how did you get those codecs from the imported footage? We're using iMovie HD to capture, and I think it uses AIC...
Arne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 05:23 PM   #12
RED Problem Solver

I used LumiereHD and MPEGStreamclip to convert to uncompressed 8bit 4:2:2 codec, but there's no reason why the filters won't work on AIC - I just don't like the look of the results as much as uncompressed.

Thanks for the comments - very much appreciated.

Graeme
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:09 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Graeme, what are your sequence settings in FCP using that footage...
Arne Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2005, 07:13 PM   #14
RED Problem Solver

Uncompressed? I just use the Decklink easy presets, as I'm using the Decklink Pro HD for output monitoring. I'm not currently "up" on the best settings for using AIC.

Graeme
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #15
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Graeme Nattress : They are working great! I've converted HDV footage to both DVCproHD and Uncompressed 8bit 4:2:2 for editing, and applied the filters and the results are very nice indeed - so much better than the CF24 mode it's not funny. Basically, the only thing that upsets filters, I find, is MPEG2 type footage, which FCP just doesn't like. As long as the footage is in a nice, edit friendly codec, the filters just work great. Glad you're enjoying them,

Graeme -->>>

I'm curious to know more about the filters. I was depressed when i found Final cut pro HD doesn't work for HDV formats. Please tell me how to convert HDV footage to DVcproHD and to apply filters. Is it worth investing in Final cut pro HD and mac because the editing options are very less this was my feeling when compared to other softwares which already support HDV formats.
Harikrishnan Ponnurangam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite