Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:37 PM   #166
MPS Digital Studios

How fast is the internal? 5400 rpm?

heath
Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:29 PM   #167
Major Player

Heath,

There is also an iMovie HD 5.0.1 Update at Apple's Support Site.

Maybe that will help out.
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:36 AM   #168
MPS Digital Studios

Yeah, I posted about that. No dice. iPhoto has a 5.0.1 update, too.

heath
Old February 4th, 2005, 02:24 AM   #169
New Boot

imovie 5; anyone tried it?

I'm a big fan of imovie...is there anything interesting about imovie 5, if I don't care about HD...??
thanks for reviews.
jonathan
Jonathan Lennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #170
Major Player

Rearranging clips IN the timeline and widescreen are now supported. You used to have to put clips back in the clips pane and then where you want them to change the order of the clips.
Mark Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:17 PM   #171
New Boot

iMovie (iLife 2005) or Final Cut Express?

I a considering an upgrade to my current editing system. (I am only a hobbyist - but find I grow in the hobby quickly!)

I don't like to spend much money on software. The new iLife has a nice, simple iPhoto upgrade, and of course the latest iMovie.

I am better off dropping the iLife suite and going right for the latest Final Cut Express?

Lastly, is there any issue with buying FCE or iLife from the US and using it on my euro-iMac G4? (My current iLife was bundled and purchased in Europe)
Jack Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #172
Major Player

I've been playing with it since it came out and I have been very impressed.

If you have been suffering with iMovie 3/4 then iMovie HD will make you really, really happy.

Most the speed issues(spinning beach ball of death) sluggishness and glitches have been addressed in this release

It run as nicely as iMovie 2 did--and it is like having a new Mac!(i have a 800 mhz eMac)

An of course the support of HDV editing...

But most importantly, 16:9 implementation is nice and you can finally do the titles correctly and go straight to iDVD and make anamophic DVD's also...
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 06:44 PM   #173
Major Player

Final Cut Express HD is quite a bargain at $299. It's now bundled with Sound Track and Live Type, which up to this point were available separately or bundled with FCP HD. The nice thing is, the price did not go up for FCE HD.
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #174
New Boot

any audio improvements

Are there any audio improvements? does anyone know how to pull out stereo tracks?
thanks
Jonathan Lennard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #175
Major Player

Heath,

The actual problem is that you have stopped the capture process when your tape (on camera) reached 32 mins. but your display on computer was at 4 mins. With slow computers, Imovie displays slower and displays what as been transferred in AIC so if you hit stop capture by looking on your in cam footage you will get a wrong timing... My dual G5 does it in RT but my portable is much slower, thus I learned this the hard way...
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #176
Tourist

HDV to DV via iMovie HD and FCPHD...

Hi all, I have some HDV Footage that a friend needs for a project that she is on a deadline for. Is there a way to convert HDV via iMovie and FCPHD to DV tape so she can work with it ? Many Thanks in advance from both of us...
Jason Beaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #177
Major Player

If you have a Z1, it is able to do the downconversion within the camera (I guess the FX1 should too) in the firewire cable. You could also connect via composite or S-video to a DV camera that can accept an analog signal and record it using this camera from your HDV camera (that does the down conversion) or through a capture card, I already did that for a project and it works fine. These are the easiest and less time-consuming ways.
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:00 PM   #178
MPS Digital Studios

I never thought a single processor G5 Power Mac would be considered slow with iMovie HD. I didn't have this problem with Lumiere Hd....

heath
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:40 AM   #179
Major Player

Re: HDV to DV via iMovie HD and FCPHD...

<<<-- Originally posted by Jason Beaton : Hi all, I have some HDV Footage that a friend needs for a project that she is on a deadline for. Is there a way to convert HDV via iMovie and FCPHD to DV tape so she can work with it ? Many Thanks in advance from both of us... -->>>

iMovie should be able to convert to DV with under the "share" menu.

Another possibility is to use DVHScap or VirtualDVHS to capture and MPEG streamclip to convert to DV. I've used MPEG streampclip and it's glitchy sometimes and I can't speak at all for the reliability of DVHScap or VirtualDVHS. You should be able to import the final clips to FCP and output them to a DV cam.

MPEG streamclip has no batch convert facilities so you'd have to convert clips one by one.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #180
Regular Crew

Using the camera to convert the footage will be much faster than using a computer and I doubt anyone will see the difference. I would dub the HDV footage to DV by firewire. Just connect the FX1/Z1 to a DV cam or DV deck with firewire. Turn on HDV to DV conversion in the FX1/Z1 menu. Set the "TV type" to whatever you want. If you want letterboxed DV, choose 4:3, if you want anamorphic DV, choose 16:9. Press play on the FX1 and record on the DV cam/deck.

Original timecode will be lost, but then again, none of the different HDV capture methods on a mac preserve timecode right now.
Ben De Rydt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite