DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 20th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Eric wrote: Well, to my amazement and bitter disappointment, I will have to pay the $699 to upgrade, just like someone who owned ONLY FCP!!!

Well - according to Apple's site - your outrage is misplaced. You can upgrade to the full suite for $499 if you already own all the applications separately. See http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/topquestions.html
Thanks Boyd. Now, someone needs to tell the 2 Apple employees I spoke to about that as well.
Old April 20th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #17
Wrangler

Just goes to show you, there's no substitute for doing your own "due diligence." The information is easily found on Apple's website. Who did you ask at Apple? Since you asked on the first business day since the product was announced, it isn't all that surprising that people weren't aware of some of the finer details.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Just goes to show you, there's no substitute for doing your own "due diligence." The information is easily found on Apple's website. Who did you ask at Apple? Since you asked on the first business day since the product was announced, it isn't all that surprising that people weren't aware of some of the finer details.
A TON of people called Apple Sales and asked about this, myself included.

My bet would be that they made the change after getting all these calls.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 01:46 PM   #19
Wrangler

Of course that's possible, who knows? Also another good reason not to buy something on the first day that it's released :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Felis
What about Shake 4? That looked really cool today. I had no idea how many movies used that software! And now it's looking immensely simplified!
Shake 4 does look really nice but I was surprised that the video tours on Apple's web site don't even mention the MAJOR addition of working in 3D space! Since that is the biggest thing they added you would think they might want to at least mention it. Kind of baffling to me.
It is funny that you don't always hear too much about Shake and it's used in TV and Film production constantly. It's used even more than it gets credit for too. I've also wondered why they never mention Renderman. I mean, I know it's not "made" by Apple but since they share the same CEO you would think there could be a nice co-marketing opportunity for ultra high-end users. Maya, Renderman and Shake go together like peanut-butter, grape jelly and Wonder Bread!

I'm glad to hear that they "are" going to offer the $499 upgrade to current owners of all the products, that's a nice surprise (and a little out of character for them too).
Rhett Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I've been a Mac user forever (my first Mac was a Mac plus with the massive 20mb hard drive... that's dating myself, my daughter doesn't call me "dad" anymore, it's "oldness on the loose")

I've found in the last couple years that apple will often try to work with you on issues like these. It may take a few calls though; I'd assume this situation was a "nobody thought of it" deal; Apple is generally pretty liberal about "fairness of upgrades".

I'm obviously on board with the "macs rock" thoughts... I'm amazed how much stuff you really have to know to keep a PC running well. Mac's aren't as seamless as apple posits in their marketing, especially when you get a little esoteric with complex software (3d modeling & rendering packages in particular). But lordy-- my daughter was 12 when she decided to fool around with iMovie; in one night, she shot a stop-motion flick with my digital still camera, edited it, added music and dialog, and rendered it for emailing. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a real renaissance in film around 2015 or so, when all the kids that have learned to shoot, light, edit, and write in their childoods get jobs in the business. Something akin to the home-recording revolution of the 80's-90's.

Which leads me to ponder... picked up a musical equipment catalog lately? Hopefully the economies of scale in killer, affordable mics, recorders, etc. that began with tascam's portastudio will happen with cinema gear before long.
Michael Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #22
Major Player

FWIW, if you have the Adobe Creative Suite (like me) you can upgrade to CS2 for $349 (as did I, only in Swiss Francs). If you own the three components of the suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) you can upgrade for $499 ... the same price as if you own Photoshop alone. Them's the breaks I guess.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite