DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sorensen View Post
Now, I know HD workflow is much better with final cut (excluding blueray) but are there any other shortcomings I can expect with my workflow process when I start working to sell my product? I thought MACs were easier?
(End rant)
Everything I've read on these forums and others, and every time I've worked with FCP users shows me different. FCP's workflow at times is the most convoluted, royal PITA I've ever seen.

Once you get everything perfect, it works well, but it really makes you work for it. I remember sorting out a workflow for my friend with his new MBPro and FCS this summer. He had just bought an HF-S10. Once we got him going he was happy. Then he watched me whip out my laptop with Sony Vegas Pro, drop his native file on the timeline, and start cutting. His jaw dropped. Then I dropped on some footage from my EX1 with a different frame size and frame rate, cut the two together and made an .mp4 on the spot.

Again, not knocking Apple or FCP. But anyone who claims it's "easier" than other stuff out there is probably selling something.
Old November 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sorensen View Post
I

I thought I was going crazy but either the mac or the camera is temperamental. If I do not follow the above listed steps, when I select the "Edit to Tape" option, all I get is a blank screen on the camera and it doesn't record anything. It shows the record light and actually runs, but nothing is recorded to tape, it plays back blank.
You don't need to restart your computer and your camera isn't being temperamental. Just understand this rule: external devices such as video cameras should be plugged in and turned on before starting FCP.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Again, not knocking Apple or FCP. But anyone who claims it's "easier" than other stuff out there is probably selling something.
I hear you Perrone. I am coming from a PC myself using Premiere and never had any problems with the workflow. But now that I have this issue addressed, things are going well for this project, even though it's just a one minute movie.

I just used Motion for a little effect and it was pretty clumsy working with both applications but the end result worked out well. When I tried to open/send a clip to Motion, it would say it couldn't locate the source file. I ended up having to export the clip as a QuickTime Movie and then import into Motion and vise versa to send it back.

I’m keeping an open mind and trying to stay positive with Apple. Working with the Mac is a little counterintuitive for me for now, but I see the logic of it. I am just used to the PC. I have to use the tools that are predominant in the industry I am trying to become a part of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
You don't need to restart your computer and your camera isn't being temperamental. Just understand this rule: external devices such as video cameras should be plugged in and turned on before starting FCP.
Thanks Pete! I'm pretty sure I always plug the video camera in and then turn it on, but I will give it a try.
Eric Sorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have to use the tools that are predominant in the industry I am trying to become a part of.
So buy an Avid.

(running for cover!) ;)
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
So buy an Avid.

(running for cover!) ;)

I think I hear the big guns being pointed your way! (smirk)

My college only teaches Final Cut... Go figure. I know I could pick up Avid pretty quickly if needed. I may take a class or two on Avid eventually. Probably best to know all the tools of the trade ea?!
Eric Sorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #21
Regular Crew

where is the record button?

I'm trying to print a sequence back to mini DV from HD.

I made my HD sequence and then cut and paste it into an SD timeline and rendered.

I have the deck attached with blank mini dv tape.

I clicked on edit to tape. Now where is the record button?

I used to do this all time with SD footage and now have completely forgotten the flow for dumping back to tape.

Your advice is appreciated.

B
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett OBourke View Post
I clicked on edit to tape. Now where is the record button?
On your deck.
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Yea, tried that. For some reason that's not working. I know I'm missing something very simple. Some setting somewhere not set properly. Either in FCP or on the deck or both.
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I've been having issues with Print to Tape since upgrading to FCP6 so I just play back the timeline now. Works a lOT easier for me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite