FCP and XL2: Never really editing at 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 1st, 2005, 09:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP and XL2: Never really editing at 24p?

I was doing an unrelated search on getting slow motion and I saw all sorts of comments about editing in 24p. When it comes to the XL2, this doesn't make sense to me. Maybe someone can fill in the missing piece.

The XL2 can shoot at 60i, 30p or 24p. However, in each of these modes the signal is ALWAYS converted into 60i.

Questions:

1. Are you guys really editing at 24p by deinterlacing the footage and somehow converting it back?

2. If you are somehow converting footage back to 24p, why? Unless it is for web distribution, anything on DVD is going to be at 60i isn't it?

Thanks for any light you can shed on the subject. I just started on FCP about a week ago. I've got a week of vacation next week and I'm dedicating it to going through the encyclopedia that is the FCP manual.

Thanks,

Kelly
Kelly Wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM   #2
RED Problem Solver

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._nattress.html

Should answer most of your questions, but specifically:

1) To edit 24p you don't de-interlace. You remove pulldown. That's very different. You remove the pulldown and edit at 24p directly.

2) DVD support 24p at a higher quality than normal 60i as it has to record less frames per second, and hence can do so at a higher quality.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Gaeme,

I really appreciate the link and information. I'm still learning.

I didn't realize that normal DVD players would "add 3:2 pulldown on playback of a 24p DVD."

Thanks again,

Kelly
Kelly Wilbur is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite