DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 20th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #1
New Boot

PGP Whole Disk Encryption and FCP performance

Wondering if anyone uses PGP Whole Disk Encryption, and if so have they noticed any impact on FCP performance or other issues?

I have an MBP w/ 10.6 and latest FCS that I edit on- now that PGP WDE is available for Snow Leopard I am considering using it to encrypt my system drive and my externals (had a few laptop and other thefts in the past, and paranoid about data theft).

Thanx!
Christopher Edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:29 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Encrypting a working drive for video work isn't recommended. Some apps actually use a dual-archive data stream which encryption software sometimes incorrectly identifies as an intrusion and halts the operation, which will then cause either the NLE to crash or worse, corrupt an entire project.

If you're concerned about someone getting unauthorized access to your work then do two things:

- Disconnect your edit system from any internet connection and;

- Put a password on your account and "log out" every time you leave your edit station.

Encryption is a nightmare you just don't want to attempt on an edit system, period.
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:39 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks but my concern is not internet intrusion or unauthorized access, it is that my laptop and external drives have been stolen in the past.

I don't care as much about the loss of the hardware as I do about the exposure of information to others.

I haven't found encryption to be a nightmare, but my experience with it is limited to Unix based systems (Linux, BSD/OS X, Solaris).

I am curious which apps you are referring to.
Christopher Edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

I've never tested PGP in a FCP environment and don't plan to but even in a SAN workstation environment at large post houses running main-frame systems they still don't' encrypt local station HDD's for the same data-collision problems that come from rendering operations.

All I can say is try it out on a non mission-critical project and see how well FCP and your third-party software handle it.

A better solution would be to always use external HDD's and put all your assets there and store it separately from your laptop, rather than the single internal on the laptop. Then even if the laptop goes away your precious commodity of project assets won't.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite