DVD Quality problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 19th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #16
Major Player

Yes it does take that long - I've done it. Results are very good though. It is the de-interlacing that really ups the encoding time so if this isn't needed then the time is only a fraction of the rate described.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #17
Regular Crew

When would de-interlacing not be needed?
J. Chris Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #18
Major Player

I have found that some projects just don't need it due to the nature of the material but more importantly I've noticed that many modern DVD players do a very good job of real time de-interlacing - better than any processing of the file as it doesn't degrade the image in any noticeable way (the Toshiba I've got for instance). My knowledge is not good enough to know how they do it! Again though it does depend on the project and it only takes one awkward passage (normally of fast moving complex motion in my case) to make processing necessary.
Geoffrey Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Really what I am trying to figure out is if it will be an efficient workflow to try and produce wedding DVDs through compressor from HD footage. Typically the ceremony is anywhere from 20-45 min and the reception events sometimes 20- minutes along with the wedding day trailer. Lets say I have a total of 50 minutes of footage to compress, according to you guys to get quality DVD picture it would take 50 hours. Not to mention that I'm working on a 3.0 ghz duocore iMac. I only have a mac so the PC workflow really isn't a option and 50 hours or longer to compress a single project is insane. Any suggestions?
Old February 20th, 2010, 01:26 PM   #20
Go Go Godzilla

I've no idea where you're extracting those kind of runtimes from but...

On your machine using the best possible settings Compressor has to offer for MPEG-2 encoding should take between 4-9 hours depending on the actual speed of your system and exactly how deep you go with quality options. Not 50 hours.

As I always suggest to those trying to wrangle and fully understand how to use all of Compressor's settings - and when *not* to use them - pick up a copy of this book which is worth it's weight in Platinum!:

Amazon.com: Apple Pro Training Series: Compressor 3 Quick-Reference Guide (9780321514226): Brian Gary: Books
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert, just ordered the book from Amazon. Hopefully this will help clear up some things for me. Thanks for the help every one!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 11:57 AM   #22
New Boot

Ha! I just ordered the book yesterday from Amazon. It looks like great minds do think alike. Keep us posted on the settings you use and I will do the same.

Thanks

-Joel
Joel Summers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:05 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Will do! Thanks!

By the way, I hope that I fall into the "great minds" category. LOL
Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:13 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
I've no idea where you're extracting those kind of runtimes from but...

That figure came from mark's post that, for him it took compressor about one hour per minute to encode his project. Again, I'm a noobie here and maybe his setting and situation doesn't apply to what I'm trying to accomplish but I was simply applying his experience to my projected workflow. Most wedding projects will have somewhere around an hour of footage to encode therefore according to Mark it would take 60 hours at the one minute per hour encode rate.

However I think I'm going to wait and give the book you mentioned a once over and to some practice runs to gauge for myself the time involved to compress a typical wedding video.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 08:15 PM   #25
Go Go Godzilla

You certainly don't have to wait for the book, try doing some of your own test encodes. Take a 10-second clip from any segment and put it into it's own timeline. Fully render it, then send it to Compressor via whichever method you prefer and see how long it takes on your system.

If you run into trouble just let us know!
Old February 24th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #26
Major Player

If you turn on frame controls, rendering times get much longer. But the quality and sharpness also gets better (coming from HD).

I use a preset with a 2-way pass, at 8.54mbps (with a minimum of 6.2 if I recall correctly), with AIFF audio, motion controls on, details set to 20 and motion estimation set to best. For me, this produces the sharpest, crispiest looking .m2v files.

I did a test with both Compressor, Squeeze and Adobe Media Encoder, and the setting above is my 1st choice. AME and Squeeze fail to come close to it. You can add a lot of filters during the DVD encode in Squeeze, maybe that can have some impact.

With that having said, DVD encoding results on a Mac are very poor. On a PC, you can get better results with mostly free software. Adobe and Apple should do better than that.
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #27
Go Go Godzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
With that having said, DVD encoding results on a Mac are very poor. On a PC, you can get better results with mostly free software. Adobe and Apple should do better than that.
Read my earlier post in this thread why that statement is false and very misleading.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite