Considering a new Mac Pro Purchase? Hold Off at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

Considering a new Mac Pro Purchase? Hold Off

Although many have wanted to either dismiss or refuse to acknowledge this issue, Apple continues to have major problems with it's Nehalem chipset:

Apple acknowledging, investigating Mac Pro problems? | MacNN

Although I often work with third-party developers to help rectify global issues this one in particular is something Apple has been keeping close the their chest.

The caveat is that with the soon-to-be-released new hardware releases from Apple - along with how they choose to finally address this particular issue - it would be very wise *not* to make any investment in Nehalem-based hardware until either they find a global, proven fix to this problem and/or wait for the new "next-gen" hardware to be released and see if it too suffers from the malady.

Caveat emptor, my friends.
Old February 11th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Apple Releases Software Update Addressing Audio-Related Mac Pro Heat and Performance Issues - Mac Rumors
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Even though they fixed the audio issue, I still feel a processor update is imminent. And by imminent, I mean the 6-core Gulftown server-class processors. While it might only replace the high-end configuration, I see the 8-core 2.26 being hacked off the store selections and filling the refurbished area with a big discount.
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Am waiting anxiously for the 10. My hope is for a little better bang for the buck. Base model faster than the imac and please more than 4 ram slots. It kills me to think that the first thing that you do when you get your new comp is to trash 3 brand new rams. It'd be nice if you could pop a few more gigs in there & get at least a few months out of the supplied ram.

Since they seem to have a fix, an 09 8 core would work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite