Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

7d Cineform Footage Wants Rendering

Hi all,

Nothing was hitting on search, so I figured I would ask.

I've converted my 7d footage to Cineform, and I've been working with it in FCP on a single sequence. I wanted to put one of the sequences on its own timeline so I did a copy and paste of the cuts. In doing this the new timeline turned up completely red, wanting me to render everything. Would this happen because the new sequence doesn't have the same settings as the original?
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes. Also, I would recommend ProRes over Cineform for use w/FCP. Cineform isn't a 'blessed' codec by Apple so it doesn't get the playback enhancement of FCPs Real Time render engine the way codecs like ProRes, DVCPro HD, HDV, etc., do.

-Andrew
Andrew Kimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #3
Inner Circle

There are other advantages to using ProRes over Cineform too. It's free as part of FCP for one thing plus you can choose from a variety of bit rates/qualities & there is even a low bit rate proxy if e.g. you are working on a MacBook & your system is not up to handling large proRes files. You cannot use Colour with standard Cineform either but must pay $500 for Neoform HD which includes First Light which is a similar colour grading application.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks.

The whole "blessed" codec thing explains why FCP stuttered on clip playback. Converting everything via Streamclip now.
Scott Lovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Trustee

Yeah, there are many advantages in using Prores, but are there any in using Cineform? Is it really better than Prores? I hear it is better than HDCAM SR.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite