DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 15th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #1
Trustee

MacBook Pro NVIDIA graphics card probs

My 16 month old 15" MacBook Pro just got fixed under the recall. I nearly had a cardiac arrest when I noticed the amount charged by the Apple Store to AppleCare warranty for the repair - £753.17! OK, it was covered by the recall AND I have AppleCare, but that kind of repair cost would be bordering on the "non-economic" if you had to pay for it. Currently all affected models are covered by the recall for 3 years after purchase. My advice would be check and see if yours is affected (See Apple support article at MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues) and get it replaced.

Affected models are
Quote:
MacBook Pro 15-inch and 17-inch models with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processors

* MacBook Pro (17-Inch, 2.4GHz)
* MacBook Pro (15-Inch, 2.4/2.2GHz)
* MacBook Pro (Early 2008)
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

"Holy cooked-GPU, Batman!"

I'm glad Apple finally outed a recall on this (Between Toyota, Honda and Apple 2010 looks like the "year of the recall" !)

For those not familiar with this issue, enclosed is a screenshot of exactly what happens when the 8600M GT card gets goofy; just so happens I have a MBP that's part of the recall and need to get it fixed up.

I've seen it get much worse than this; sometimes entire windows of full of splashed colors, bizarre patterns and wobbly-blurry text. When it first happened to my machine I was fully expecting the entire screen to die within seconds, but every-time this happens a simple "Log Out" and back into the machine clears it.

Can't wait to get it fixed.
Attached Thumbnails
MacBook Pro NVIDIA graphics card probs-blurred-text.png  
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Crap, I have one of these computers, but I don't see any video problems.
Old February 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Trustee

Mine only started showing problems last week, David. In my case the display suddenly lost every 2nd pixel horizontally, resulting in tiny vertical grey lines down the screen and a washed out appearance. The screen also turned a rather fetching pink colour

I had to reduce resolution to 800x600 to read text and menus. The first time it happened a restart fixed it, but it went again a few hours later and stayed like that, so I phoned AppleCare.

Needless to say, it started working normally again just before they inspected it at the Apple Store, but they ran a testing programme and confirmed that it was able to be replaced under recall.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McDonald View Post
My 16 month old 15" MacBook Pro just got fixed under the recall. I nearly had a cardiac arrest when I noticed the amount charged by the Apple Store to AppleCare warranty for the repair - £753.17! OK, it was covered by the recall AND I have AppleCare, but that kind of repair cost would be bordering on the "non-economic" if you had to pay for it. Currently all affected models are covered by the recall for 3 years after purchase. My advice would be check and see if yours is affected (See Apple support article at MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues) and get it replaced.

Affected models are
thanks for the heads up guys!

gc
Greg Chisholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Major Player

yep, had mine for a year and half before I noticed issues. Got it fixed last October for free as well :)
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Guys,

Just read this thread.. and realizing that I own one of these machines... :{

But I found this link :

take a look..

Apple Extends MacBook Pro NVIDIA GeForce Service Policy to Three Years
Old February 21st, 2010, 11:19 AM   #8
Trustee

Mike, I'm not clear what that link tells us that we didn't know already. Am I missing something?
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite