DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
New Boot

gonna buy..macpro..guide please.

hi..all
im going to buy a macpro..the Ist one in the apple website..(which $2499)

is this processor also called as 8 core..?

can i have dual display with the supplied nvidia card..??

those 3 gb ram (which comes with) are a normal kind of ram or fully buffered ram..?and how good it is compared to other..ram?

i do compositing and editing work (with hd footages)..so does this machine helps me for the time being?(until i get money to upgrade)

thanks in advance..it'll be very helpful.
Karthik Veera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

The basic Mac Pro is only 4-core. The nVida card should be dual display. RAM is fully buffered ECC RAM (aka server class RAM). I would get the ATI card, as it will take better advantage of CoreImage/Video?Animation which Motion etc heavily use. Also as for RAM Performance Upgrades; FireWire USB SATA Storage; Memory, more at OWC has good RAM to upgrade your Mac, or just pay the $150 to get the Mac Pro with 6GB RAM.
Trevor Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 03:08 AM   #3
Inner Circle

And if you don't REALLY need one now... wait a little bit.
Mac Pro updates should be around the corner.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Major Player

Just got the 2.93 quad core & it works great with motion. Don't know if you can get refurbished macs in India, but they are quite a bit cheaper. I got the 2.93 refurbished for the same $ as the 2.66 new.

The standard card works fine for motion, but you will need an adapter for your second display, as it has 1 dual link DVI & a mini display port. My second display is an older 19" VGA display, so I got a mini display>VGA which is a $29 adapter from Apple. They also sell a MDP>DVI for the same $ but if you need another dual link DVI, that adapter is $100.

My Comp came with 2x2Gbs ram and the machine was pretty much maxed out with just the 4Gbs. You can just add 2 ram modules, so I got 2x4Gbs modules (Didn't quite have the cash for 3) so I can upgrade to 12 or 16 in the future. **You can't mix the 4Gbs ram with the 1 & 2 Gbs modules.**

The 3Gbs will work but I think you'd be running it to the maximum most of the time. You can mix the 1 & 2 Gbs ram modules, but not with the 4gbs ram. So you could just get 2Gb to add to the 3 in the machine for 5Gbs total ram & that should hold you for a while.

But as Mathieu said, The new MP are suppose to be out by June if you can wait.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:39 AM   #5
New Boot

got it..

thanks for the reply friends..
i bought the basic macpro..
it comes with 3 gb of ram..machine is pretty good..my doubt can i add a 2gb ram of the same kind..but from another brand..?
and so it'll become..5gb..is it possible to have a 5gb ram..?
Karthik Veera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Trustee

I think those machines can take up to 16Gb of RAM with current RAM offerings. I'm running 8Gb on my 7 year old PPC G5 PowerMac, and I sometimes wish I had more :)
Old May 3rd, 2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes you can add a 2 Gb ram for 5 Gbs. You just can't mix with the 4Gb or 8Gb.

Too bad your in India, as I've got 2x2Gb ram modules out of my 2009 that I'm trying to sell cheap.
Old May 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Major Player

I've been waiting for the next Mac Pro update. I read that the chips that will likely be used will not be available in volume from Intel for about a month. I don't really neeeed the upgrade, but I do dislike buying at the end of a cycle.
Don Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite