Which tapeless camcorder is best for Final Cut Pro7? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:10 PM   #1
New Boot

Which tapeless camcorder is best for Final Cut Pro7?

I've been searching for the last few days and am in a real dilemma about which camcorder to buy. I am going to buy the Panasonic AG-HMC151 AVCHD camcorder although I ALSO need another smaller camcorder also (for general visual shots and as a 2nd camera).

I wondered if there were any that work better with final cut than others? I am thinking along the lines of Panasonic TM700, SD600 or Canon HFS range.

There is so much conflicting information out there about AVCHD and how it does or doesn't work well with FCP or Mac's, every step of the way seems to to throw up 27 hurdles.

I am using a Macbookpro to edit at the moment.

Any insight, thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Trinity
x
Trinity Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2011, 02:03 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Which tapeless camcorder is best for Final Cut Pro7?

OK, I'll take a stab at this to get the ball rolling.

Personally, I would not worry about AVCHD and FCP 7.0 as the new Final Cut Studio is widely expected to be released "this Spring". I think we'd all be surprised if it did not have rock solid AVCHD workflow (but we might be less surprised at what it might cost to upgrade!) [ I'm still on FCS 6 - and loving it - as I did not think it worth the cost of the "incremental upgrade" to 7, by the way ].

I would choose your cameras independently to your NLE. Choose the features/price/performance of those cams on what you want need and like - and if your current NLE won't hack it using the many AVCHD workarounds you've no doubt read about then it's simple - There are other NLEs that work on Macs that will. They are only tools and if Final Cut does not perform for you (either in it's current version or in what we expect to see in 1-2 months time) then simply choose an alternative NLE that does! Link to the Area 51 FCP thread below:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/...ml#post1622242

Alternatively, if you want to avoid AVCHD and want a seamless FCP workflow, right now, then go for the JVC cams (HM100 etc.) as these give Quicktime files straight out of the camera.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 05:16 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Andy!

I'm new to Final Cut Pro (and editing for that matter - on a rapid learning curve), so I came straight in with FCP7. I really do like it. I certainly look forward to evolving technology though. It seems that there's such a rapid excelleration over recent years and as one thing changes there is a delay whilst everything else not only tries to catch up, but attempts to get ahead of the game.

I am quickly learning that there is no perfect solution. It's all swings and round abouts :0)

Trinity
x
Old March 3rd, 2011, 06:53 AM   #4
Inner Circle

@trinity - it's a bad idea to buy a camera based on a perceived fcp friendliness. Many are using avchd with fcp everyday. For now, best practice is to simply transcode to prores. Buy the camera that has the features and capability YOU need and can afford. That panny is probably just fine and I expect you picked it over the jvc for a reason.

Last edited by Les Wilson; March 4th, 2011 at 05:15 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 02:19 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Les. That makes a lot of sense :0)
x
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:00 AM   #6
Regular Crew

For your 2nd cam, if you stick with AVCHD, I recommend the Canon portables. I use two Canon HF S20s, and the full HD footage looks gorgeous. Just don't use them to record audio -- the built-in limiters kill any chance at recording useful sound.
Allen White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite