HD footage resized in an SD sequence - looks terrible. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Tourist

HD footage resized in an SD sequence - looks terrible.

Hey Everyone,

I have some DVCPRO HD 1080i60 footage that I'm trying to incorporate into a DV NTSC sequence (ultimately it's going to end up on a DVD, but we also need to export uncompressed 8-bit files to show people before that happens.)

The project is incorporating footage from a bunch of different eras in a bunch of different formats (primarily DV) but the only footage I'm having problems with is the HD footage.

The HD footage is sitting in the DV project smaller than the frame (basically, inlaid into the background image), and it's looking extremely pixelated with jagged edges. (I'm including a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about, the HD footage is centered horizontally, a little above the vertical center. It's a hand and some audio equipment: http://www.thewoostergroup.org/proje...screenshot.png).

I've tried everything I can think of to solve the problem, mostly around de-interlacing. I'd really appreciate any advice you guys can give. I'm a little bit out of my depth on this.

Thanks!
Daniel.
Daniel N. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: HD footage resized in an SD sequence - looks terrible.

Well, I can't solve the problem with trying to fit 16:9 material into a 16:12 (4:3) frame -- crop it, if you don't want letterboxing, but I suspect your other issue is caused by the different field order. DV is lower first, DVCProHD is upper first -- so if you don't correct for the insertion of the DVCProHD material, it uses the DV preset and reverses the field order. Make the correction manually and it should look much better.

Cheers,
GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite