Is there any difference between an I-frame, intra frame, inter frame, and key frame. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 5th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is there any difference between an I-frame, intra frame, inter frame, and key frame.

Each have their own wikipedia page but is there any real difference between these four types of frame?

I'm using Compressor 4 to burn a DVD and under encoding settings it gives me the option to set Key frame every so many seconds. Is this an I-frame?

I thought an I-frame stands for intra-frame, then what is an inter frame, and why call it a key frame?

I-frame:
Video compression picture types - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intra-frame:
Intra-frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Inter frame:
Inter frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Key frame:
Key frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Re: Is there any difference between an I-frame, intra frame, inter frame, and key fra

An I frame in an MPEG-2 stream is the only type of frame that contains ALL the picture data. P and B frames contain information about what is changed from previous and upcoming I frames.

The more I frames, the closer they are together timewise... and the data rate will likely climb...

USUALLY this increases image quality BUT if too many I frames are used at a given data rate, you don't give the codec enough residual data rate to "do it's job" properly and the I frames will look great but the non-I frames will look LOUSY, causing a visual degrading of the image not entirely unlike strobing, except in image quality, not luminance.

Clear as tar?
Old October 5th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Is there any difference between an I-frame, intra frame, inter frame, and key fra

you can call them the way you want, but each application is referring to its language. So if some call it keyframe and give the meaning, it could be called Intra frame elsewhere and the same definition will be also given.
In most video editing apps, a keyframe is just a pointer indicating an effect modification.
If you are in mpeg encoding, you will use another vocabulary I , P, B frames.
just use the right word at the right place.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite