black is white? White is black? Up is down? Dogs and cats living together in sin? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

black is white? White is black? Up is down? Dogs and cats living together in sin?

I've had FCP6 for about four years, but recently is the first time I've tried to color correct something to any degree using that program. I'm finding some very strange things, using the 3way CC tool and the. . uh. . .single way CC tool:

-lit actor against blown out white/limbo background, pulling down the blacks PULLS DOWN THE WHITE BACKGROUND. Is everything a black?

-same situation, raising highlights RAISES DEEPEST SHADOWS

-midtones affects everything

Granted there does seem to be some balance to it, i.e. messing with blacks affects blacks more than other tones, but really, can anyone offer insight into the design logic here? Why is everything affected by everything? I'd expect crossover, to a point, between mids/highs/blacks to keep from getting some really ugly results, but not to this degree.

Yes, I am aware of the RGB curves plugin, the free one, offered by one of our own here. Unfortunately, related to my other thread about 5D footage rendering differently than it looks unrendered, that, plugin wreaks holy hell with everything once rendered (green tint to footage, etc.) so I've been using 3way CC and the related tools only on this project.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite