DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 11th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Upconvert DV?

I've seen the term "upconvert" thrown around a lot and, while I understand what it means in theory (increase the resolution of your footage [or at least make it appear to be increased]), I haven't been able to find out a) how to do it, or b) if it's possible.
I tried playing around in Final Cut Pro HD with some footage I shot on the XL1S. I brought it in as DV50 NTSC, DV NTSC with 2:3:3:2 Pulldown Removal, tried using "None" for the compressor, etc. etc. The footage was not improved in any way, which, of course, makes sense: if it's shot on DV, it's DV. It can't become something else. Note: using "no compression" created a file about 8 times bigger than a clip captured using DV NTSC, with no discernible difference between the two.
So, after capturing as NTSC DV, I tried exporting from Final Cut as all the various formats: DVCPRO HD 1080i60, Uncompressed 8-bit NTSC, etc. When I played these files in Quicktime, there was a huge difference: specifically, DVCPRO HD 1080i60 looked much crisper than the original DV NTSC clip. As expected, it was a much bigger file size, a much bigger frame and a different aspect ratio.
The problem is that when I pulled the file back into FinalCut, that apparent difference in quality disappeared.
This leaves me thinking that "upconversion" is not possible in Final Cut or AfterEffects. Is that accurate?
Thanks.
Jonathan Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #2
Major Player

If you're capturing over firewire then FCP will upconvert if you put the DV clips in a non-DV sequence - say, 8-bit uncompressed. You could also capture the DV over SDI. I've never done this, but I read a good article about it on the Ken Stone website: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage..._nattress.html. But all you have to do to get it to upconvert is make a sequence that doesn't match the capture preset.
Zach Mull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite