DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old December 4th, 2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Major Player

batch capturing 720p

when ever I batch capture footage the batch divides my file, for example I batch capture "speech" which lasts for 5 minutes, in the speech I'm not recording 10 minutes of the speech but have shot bits of it,

so for example, my capture would be "speech", but when I finish the file there will
"speech", "speech -1" and "speech -2" for the three shots. I know this sounds all confusing but if you have ever captured hdv 720p you probably know about this.
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #2
Wrangler

I assume you are batch capturing clips you just logged, not a sequence you are now going to online.

I doubt it has anything to do with HDV - it is probably 2Gb file size limit on a PC formatted drive.

Are you using an external firewire drive you bought and didn't format as a mac volume before use? Check the file sizes and see if they are all 2Gb except for the last in the sequence.

If this is the case, it isn't a big deal but the drive isn't performing up to spec when formatted for a PC. I would reformat it as mac as soon as you get a chance so that you can get full speed performance out of it.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Major Player

Try this thread and see if it helps
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=51517
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #4
Wrangler

Yeah - that thread brings up another thought specific to HDV.
Was the camera stopped and started within the logged clip? For example, you may have logged a full 5 minutes as one clip, but you had started and stopped the camera recording 3 times within that 5 minutes of tape. FCP will automatically create new clips with HDV when it detects a new "scene."
It has to do this because of the GOP structure.
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Spot on Tim

That was what I was getting at!

It was hard to explain it but yes You know what I'm getting at, I have paused the recording several times and when I tried capturing it, HDV on FCP just detects all my segments, so If there were 3 recordings in 5 minutes then it will seperate the individual clips instead of seeing it as one big capture.
So it is normal yeah? I thought it was a settings thing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite