FCP5 Video Training at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 30th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP5 Video Training

Well, I'm taking the plunge, and setting off to learn a whole new technology. I've ordered FC Studio and now I need some training. I did a Google search and came up with a bunch of hits on DVDs and a couple of subscription-service online training sites, but now I need recommendations. There is quite a range in prices, but cheaper isn't everything to me.

• I want CD/DVD training rather than books
• I need training that covers everything thoroughly, but that is aimed at the slow-witted.

Any reviews, links, etc., will most welcome.

Thanks
Jack Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:24 PM   #2
Major Player

If I were you I would buy a one month subscription to lynda.com. it costs 25 bucks and gets you full access to their online movie library. It covers Final Cut Motio LiveType DVDSP Photoshop After Effects and others. you can watch some of the videos for free so you can tell if they suit your learning style.
Old March 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks, Nate. I did look at a couple of the free, introductory vids earlier today and they didn't show anything except a patterned background and I was expecting to see the FCP desktop, at least. Maybe I'll go back and try some others.
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

How much are you willing to spend on training? Totaltraining.com has some EXCELLENT tutorials, not only on FCP but a lot of other things. However, they aren't as affordable as others...
Old March 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Major Player

I second that motion about TOTAL TRAINING. ,I watched it and learned a lot. That's even after using the software for a couple of years.

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Jeff, the very firs movies in the series are usually just intros to what you will learn. Are you talking about the Larry Jordan stuff? Cause all those movies are great you see the entire interface and what he's clicking and all that plus sometimes the stuff he trys dosen't work and he'll troubleshoot it right in front of you which also helps.
Old March 31st, 2006, 04:56 PM   #7
Major Player

This is the only Total Training dvd there is for FC Pro 5.

http://www.totaltraining.com/prod/ap...ss.asp?mscsid=

This one got a "where-was-this-when-I-was-learning" review at the Ken Stone website.

http://www.rippletraining.com/gettin...l_cut_pro.html
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:07 PM   #8
Major Player

The one we have at work is the Totaltraining DVD with Brian Maffit.
There's a number of chapters hat walk you through set up to editing, and through output options. Very thorough stuff. Yes- it's for FCP 5.0.

I saw a website by the videoguys.com (if I remember correctly-sorry). They had a number of free, online tutorials that were helpful as well.

I always keep the FCP book I got off of Amazon bu the desk as a quick reference too.

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:15 PM   #9
Major Player

Woah waoh woah! Move no further towards TT unless you are a robot. Well... Brian Moffat is kinda funny to watch for a little bit, but I have him for over 40 hours for my After Effects training. Anyways... you will get better instruction from the Apple Pro Training books. Go to Amazon and you can get them for around $23 (less than that if you buy it used). They have (I think) 5 different ones for FCP5. Most of the functions of FCP you will never use but it is helpful to learn the way you want to work... I work like the APT books have taught me. Here is the book i recomend (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/032...g=UTF8&s=books)

After each chapter it has a "what did you cover" section as well as the short cuts that you learned. You can easily find something you forgot this way. I have trouble finding which part on my TT DVD set that said a certain function. Besides... wouldn't you rather have something that helps you get Apple Pro certified?

Best of luck with your learning adventure.

PS: Look at the training DVD as well as the PDF tutorials that come with the bundle. You might not even need that much more training.
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Major Player

I just looked at the link to the Total Training DVD. You can get every Apple Pro training book from Amazon for that (Soundtrack, Motion Basic, Motion Advanced, Final Cut Advanced, Advanced Effects, Advanced Color Correction).
Old March 31st, 2006, 10:20 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks guys, but I think some aren't reading my OP. What I said was,

• I want CD/DVD training rather than books
• I need training that covers everything thoroughly, but that is aimed at the slow-witted.

In the best of all possible worlds, I would have a training DVD with a reference book for reminders down the line. Having said that, I did go to Amazon and buy the Diana Weynand book (used, like new) for $25, so I can at least have the 'official' Apple Certified Training materials. I'm still looking for a DVD for Idiots.
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite