DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 20th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP 5 / 4ch Split Audio

I had asked this question before at the following link and just wanted to see if in FCP 5 you could accomplish this via Firewire, or if you still had to do 2 capture passes to get all 4ch of audio in...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...cp+split+audio

thanks,
Brian
Brian Gauthier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Trustee

I still haven't moved up to FCP 5 yet, but from what I have read, you still have to do the 2nd pass. To my knowledge, no option yet exists on the Mac platform to do what you are asking. There are a couple of options available on the PC however - but that is of no consequence in this situation unless you have one of the new Intel Macs and want to purchase Win XP and Windows based capture apps like Scenealyzer (which does the 4ch independent capture in 1 pass) and then port it over to FCP on the Mac partition....but it is likely just easier to do the 2nd pass in FCP. Sorry....looks like that is still one of the limitations we still have to deal with.
-Jon
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:30 AM   #3
Trustee

I may be crazy but I thought I captured 4 channels from the XL2 in one pass with FCP 5... only had a couple tapes like that and sure dont remember doing 2 passes...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 12:54 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
I may be crazy but I thought I captured 4 channels from the XL2 in one pass with FCP 5... only had a couple tapes like that and sure dont remember doing 2 passes...

ash =o)

Ash, can you verify that the 4 channels retained their independent tracking? or was it the 4 channel mix?

If they were independent, that would be very good news and would compel me to upgrade sooner than expected.

(When QT7 was released, I was really expecting to hear about multi-track capture ability in FCP since it uses the QT engine, and I heard that multi-channel output would be a feature of QT 7...only logical they would add similar capability to input....but bummer....although they added the ability to do direct capture right through QT, it turned out to be the standard 2 tracks at a time, either trk 1&2, or trk 3 & 4, or 1,2,3,4 mix....what a letdown.)

-Jon

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite