Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 31st, 2006, 11:32 AM   #46
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz
thank you, david, that is exactly the issue...i'm still waiting on Apple's special FCP 5.0 Studio upgrade deal, which has apparently shipped by slow boat....
But when that ship sails into port, you'll be very happy. Studio 5.1 is one amazing package of apps...
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #47
Major Player

Any chance that there are going to be processor upgrades for existing power mac G5's like there are for the G4?
Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #48
Major Player

That's unlikely. If it will happen, it will be necessary to ship the G5 to the upgrade manufacturer for installation. There are several reasons for this: the G5 CPU-modules are not nearly as easily removable than those of G4s were, and the mobo-firmware demands thermal re-calibration of the CPU-module after re-installation. The latter procedure requires software only available to Apple Authorized Service Providers, and it is quite likely that Apple would not make the API available for third-party hardware manufacturers to write calibration software for their own CPU-modules.
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 08:47 AM   #49
Major Player

OK, I've read through this post, but I'm still undecided to what is the "best" machine for video editing. As far as I can tell there are currently three contenders:

- 20-inch 2GHz Intel Core Duo iMac: 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 250GB Serial ATA drive, ATI Radeon X1600 w/256MB SDRAM, Approx. AUD$3,000.00

- 17-inch 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook Pro: 2GB 667 DDR2 SO-DIMMs, 100GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm, Approx. AUD$4,500.00

- Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC G5: 2GB 533 DDR2 ECC SDRAM, 250GB Serial ATA 7200rpm, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT 256MB SDRAM, Apple Cinema HD Display (23" Flat Panel), Approx. AUD$7,700.00

( Obviously you can add even more "stuff" to the Quad to make it even more powerful, such as a QUADRO FX 4500 512MB SDRAM Graphics Card and 16GB 533 DDR2 ECC SDRAM. )

The problem is we all only have a limited budget, and want to buy so many things. A computer is only a small piece of the puzzle. We want to buy cameras, microphones, lenses, software, cables, accessories, and the list goes on. So how much should you put aside for the Mac?

At first glances, the Quad G5 seems the way to go. But with new Intel equivalents coming out soon, is it worth spending money on a fully-loaded G5 now (July 2006)? It's also a huge amount of money. More than double the cost of a fully decked out iMac! So is it worth putting that much money towards a computer?

The MacBook Pro laptop looks great. It's basically a studio that you can carry around with you - very cool. But, although cheaper than a Quad G5 - it's still a huge amount of money. Let assume that mobility isn't an issue. Maybe it makes more sense to purchase a Dual 2GHz PowerPC instead?

OK. Now lets assume I have a budget of AUD$3,000.00. I want to use Final Cut Studio 5.1, Shake, After Effects and Pro Tools. I'll be editing HDV. I could pick up a fully decked out iMac for that price. The other options: a 15.4-inch 2GHz Intel Laptop (without the RAM or HD upgrade) or a Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5 (without a screen).

So, now I guess the question is:

Is it better to purchase a "lower spec" computer that you can upgrade in the future OR purchase a "high spec" computer that is "as it" (ie. it cannot be upgraded or expanded upon)? Is it better to buy a G5 or a self-contained iMac?

It's all about compromise!

Of course, you could always save up your money until you can afford a Quad G5, and maybe by the time you have saved up that money Apple will have released some new toys that everyone wants to play with. But what happens if whilst trying to save up you're hit by lightning or a truck and never get your chance to edit together that amazing footage! There's always the possiblity of something better around the corner. But who knows, maybe iPods will start randomly blowing up, Apple will get suited to death and become bankrupt? Anything's possible! If that happens then prices will skyrocket and you won't be able to pick up anything for under AUD$3000!

Ok, so maybe I've gone a little bit off topic. But the question still remains, as of July 2006, which is the most wise purchase? I understand there are a lot of variables such as:

- Will the purchase benefit you financially (ie. will you make money from using your Mac)
- Your personal finances
- What type of software you wish to run
- What type of hardware you wish to "hook up"
- What type of video format you want to use
- etc, etc, etc.

But lets just assume that everyone is broke (but can somehow find the money if the really need, or more relevently, want to) and wish to produce something of Hollywood and Broadcast standards, using the latest Apple software (FCS, Shake, etc.). Lets assume this is for personal use (ie. it's not for a business that makes money). Sure you'd like to think that you'll make money, but that all depends on the script and your talent! But again, that's slightly off topic. Is it worth going without food for a couple of months to increase the budget from AUD$3,000.00 to AUD$8,000.00?

I guess what my question comes down to, with all things and circumstances concidered, at the end of the day, which is the computer that the largest percentage of people should purchase? Lets think about every single "video editing person" in the world. Assign a machine to everyone of them. Which machine gets the most sales?
Chris Hocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:15 AM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
It's all about compromise!
For most of us, that is true! The main question, besides finances, to ask yourself is, How soon do I need it? If you are without a sufficiently workable machine and have project deadlines approaching fast, then you need to buy something now. Your choice should be either the MacBook Pro or the Quad. If you can wait, then by all means wait for the new Intel-based workstations that will come out in August (okay, as many people assume).

Why? Because you should always get the best machine you can afford at the time. No matter what you tell yourself, you will most likely not upgrade as soon as you would like, so you need to be happy with what you get.

For people who cannot wait, then the current, pre-WWDC choice is between a MacBook Pro or Quad. I include the MacBook Pro for a simple reason. Since it is cheaper than a Quad, if your budget allows, you could get the MacBook Pro now--because you need a workable solution ASAP--and then save up more money and get one of the Intel-based towers when they come out in August. This will give you an immediate solution plus a wonderful, portable system when you get the new tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hocking
I guess what my question comes down to, with all things and circumstances concidered, at the end of the day, which is the computer that the largest percentage of people should purchase? Lets think about every single "video editing person" in the world. Assign a machine to everyone of them. Which machine gets the most sales?
Again, it depends on needs. As an editor, are you in the field more times than not? If so, portability is key. Other than the need for true field editing flexibility, I would say that going with a workstation is always the better choice. Workstations are more powerful and have more expandability options. Power and expandability is first choice when it comes to choosing great editing systems.

All of this is, of course, MHO.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite