DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 14th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Thanks to Everyone, But....

It still does not work. I have FCP set to "All Frames" in external video. I have my PD-150 set to "off" for A/V-DV Out (as I imagine that should only be on when I am capturing from an analog source and using the PD150 as a throughport/ media-converter). The image/sound go from FCP to the PD150 fine. It appears perfect through the LCD and can be recorded onto a MiniDV tape just fine. But when I connect RCA cables from the PD150 to my VCR the VCR records no image. If I connect the RCA cables from my PD150 to my TV to see what's wrong (I have a 36in. flat screen Toshiba) the image is horribly distorted. It rolls and bends etc. The same thing occurred when I connected a Formac media converter in place of the PD150. At this point I'm willing to spend the money on a VCR with a fireware port but I don't know of any. Do any of them support device control?
Again, thanks so much for everything everyone.
Erik
Erik Selakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 04:48 PM   #17
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Sorry to hear you're still having trouble, Erik. It certainly confounds me.

Yes, JVC makes a couple of models of dual miniDV-VHS decks that feature Firewire.

Here's the JVC-SR-VS30U at Zotz Digital, one of our sponsors. JVC also makes a slightly lower model, the JVC-SR-VS20U, which generally runs around $1,100. I don't know the price of the 30U. Give Zotz a call.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 04:53 PM   #18

>>>>The image/sound go from FCP to the PD150 fine. It appears perfect through the LCD and can be recorded onto a MiniDV tape just fine.

- Ok, so we know its' not FCP, the problem exists in outputting the DV signal from the PD-150. Getting closer,,,

>>>>But when I connect RCA cables from the PD150 to my VCR the VCR records no image.

- doh!

>>>>If I connect the RCA cables from my PD150 to my TV to see what's wrong (I have a 36in. flat screen Toshiba) the image is horribly distorted. It rolls and bends etc.

- here's yet another dumb question: exactly what output are you using from the PD-150? Exactly what type of input are you trying to feed this into? Ok, that was two dumb questions!

>>>>The same thing occurred when I connected a Formac media converter in place of the PD150.

- OK, so its not the PD-150 either. The problem exists at the input stage of your monitor. Please take the time to use a different monitor - any monitor to see and let us know what you see, ok?

>>>>At this point I'm willing to spend the money on a VCR with a fireware port but I don't know of any.

- sounds to me like you need to spend your money on either the right cables or a repair of the video input on your monitor?

Erik, please keep us posted,

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 05:04 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hey Don,
1. I am using the RCA outputs on the PD150.
2. I am connecting those RCA cables to the RCA inputs on the front of my TV.
I'll try to connect a different monitor and let you know.
Erik
Old February 14th, 2003, 05:29 PM   #20

ok cool, by the way - what is the model # of that deck you are using?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Half of it working

Well, the ability to capture from my VCR thru my PD150 and into FCP 3 works. I'll update everyone as soon as I get the output from FCP 3 thru my PD150 to my VCR working.
Back to work!
Old February 14th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #22
Warden

VCR do not always auto detect a signal going into the line (RCA Video IN connection). Newer VCR's may have a setting in the menu (you may have to get to the on screen menu via your remote control). Set your VCR to record via the line rather than the "F" connection (maybe be labeled as CABLE, AIR, TV in the menu).

Jeff

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2003, 01:35 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Thanks everyone!!!

You were right Jeff, I had to set the VCR to LINE and there was nothing in the manual about it. Thanks again everyone.
Erik
Old February 23rd, 2003, 07:09 AM   #24
Warden

Thanks for posting back and letting us know how it all worked out. It can really help other people.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite