DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 18th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Broadcast Safe filter.

If you apply the Broadcast Safe Filter on a clip that doesn't need it would it affect its quality?
John Kaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 02:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I applied the Broadcast Safe Filter on one clip and it took care of the excess luma but the Excess Chroma is still out of range. I thought it takes care of both. Anyone knows how to fix this.
Old February 20th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #3
Warden

How are you judging broadcast safe chroma? The filters works on both Y and C at the same time.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

easy: Click on canvas then go to Range check and check the excess luma , then click on viwere and then go to Range check and click on excess chroma. Now you have both windows showing the excess in luma AND chroma at the same time. Is this what u asked?
Old February 20th, 2003, 08:10 PM   #5
Warden

Right, I wanted to make sure you weren't using a monitor to visually check the chroma. The range checker is the way to do it. So when you run the filter, the Y is corrected but C is not, and you checked it with the range checker after running the filter? Are you applying to just one clip or an entire sequence? You are rendering the effect? If you have more than one layer of video are you putting the filter on the top layer? You may want to nest the clips and apply the filter that way.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old February 20th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have up to 23 layers and I am applying the filter to the v1 layer which is the main one that has the problems. I sometimes highlight 3 or 4 clips and then I apply the filter to them sometimes I apply it individually to each clip. If I nest the entire piece and apply it at once then I was told that the clips that don't it will get rendered and will lose some quality as well. Am I doing it wrong by highlighting bunch of clips and applying the filter that way?

and for my own eductaion how do you nest an entire project?:) So many questions in one submission but hopefully you will be able to address them all. thanks :)
Old February 20th, 2003, 08:45 PM   #7
Warden

With 23 layers you'll need to nest the clips and apply the filter. As you've found out, it won't work properly with so many layers, the filter seems to get confused by the various transparencies in different layers.

Old February 21st, 2003, 01:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

How about I do this. What if I leave V2 layer empty and then apply teh filter, will that work? also how do u nest! I know it may be a stupid question for you but hwo do u nest?
Old February 21st, 2003, 05:58 AM   #9
Warden

The broadcast safe filter does strange things with multiple layers of video.

Nesting a clip with filters treats that clip as a subsequence. This maintains the link to its render files even if you move or change the clip later.

To nest a filtered clip or group of clips:

Select the clips you want to nest in the timeline

Choose nest items from the sequence menu or option C.

Give the nested sequence a name.

Choose frame size from pop up, this should be left alone for DV

Select Markers, Keep Effects, and audio Levels with Clip.

Select the Mixdown audio box. It there is no audio this won't appear.

Click OK

The clips you selected are replaced with a nested sequence. A new sequence with the name you specified appears in the Browser; your original sequence clips are in that sequence. Changes that you make to the nested sequence will not affect the render files located in that sequence in the Browser.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite