FCP keyboard at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 18th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP keyboard

Alright, after looking at these keyboards i first wanted to know if its worth it to get one. Another question i had was if i could just plug it into the USB port in the side of my normal keyboard, would that be possible?
Ryan Wachter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #2
Major Player

I've also considered one, but in the interim, a MUCH less expensive solution is this excellent keyboard guide:

http://www.lafcpug.org/dvd_keyguide.html

That should hold you over until you make a decision. This key guide also comes with Tom Wolsky's FCP-3 Workshop book, also recommended.
Old February 18th, 2003, 11:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

well what im kinda asking is, if i hook it into my alrady exsistant keyboard, will it work if i just started typing on it as well as the letters working on the orginal keyboard....i guess this is kinda hard to explain :)

Thanks for the link
Old February 18th, 2003, 11:47 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

In my opinion, the keyboards outfitted with color-coded FCP command keys are an outrageous profit grab designed to exploit the initial enthusiasm of new FCP users. If you're truly committed to mastering FCP's keyboard commands get Tom Wolky's Final Cut Pro 3 Editing Workshop, which Vic noted, and use its very thorough pull-out keyboard guide.

The efficiency of mastering the keyboard shortcuts lies principally in your ability to keep your eyes, and your mind, on what you're doing rather than how to do it. For a time you'll have to be distracted to look down, either at the color-coded keyboard or at the Wolsky guide, to perform the dextrous gymnastics required for keyboard commands. But after a while you'll probably settle-in with mastering 8-12 such maneuvers without eye-cheating, leaving the rest to the good ol' mouse. At that point, if you went the FCP-custom keyboard route, what you'll be left with is a silly-looking spongy 3rd-party keyboard, with a true value of around $25, that you may not even like to use. If you buy Tom's book you can simply tuck the guide back into the book for future reference and you'll still be left with an excellent reference to FCP...for a fraction of what the junky keyboard cost you.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 12:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thank you for your insight....and not just saying the keyboard is a waste of money but actually explaining yourself....its extremely appreciated.
Old February 19th, 2003, 01:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I have purchased a Logic-Keyboard, which basically is an Apple keyboard with the colored FCP keys on. I must say that I think they are too expensive, but I also think they are very great help.

But, I did a test and plugged in my original keyboard in the USB port in the side of the other keyboard, and Iīm sorry to tell you that it didnīt work. I got an error message stating that it was not enough power from the USB port to run both of them.

But I guess that it could work if you used an USB HUB, because the HUB usually got their own power.

Ivan
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 02:28 PM   #7
Warden

In my experience, most professional editors use the keyboard for the majority of their editing. It is much faster to use simple keyboard commands and shortcuts than to use the mouse. The keyboard follows CMX style editors and allows me to sit down at an AVID, Premiere, FCP etc. editor and not fumble around for menus. The color coding groups the commands together for ease of learning. I bought the replacement FCP keys for my Apple Pro Keyboard. They are very pricey, but I like the feel of the Apple keyboard. They are just an aid and if you can learn the commands and shortcuts without the special keys you'll save some money.

I do my editing with my left hand on the keyboard and my right hand on my Microsoft Trackball Explorer. When I log and capture I use the Shuttle Pro for some projects and keyboard and mouse for others.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #8
Major Player

If you decide to try out Loren's key guide mentioned above, the one at the LAFCPUG link is laminated, so you can also use it as place mat for your beer -- also, it will not curl-up from tears of frustration when FCP performs some of its more annoying "features"!

Ken's point is a good one -- once you get used to the keyboard commands, you won't even bother to look at the keys, no matter what their color.

There are more commands listed on the guide than you can stuff onto the keycaps, and it also looks cool just sitting on the desk!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite