How To Hook Up external NTCS w/BNC to mac using Final Cut at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM   #1
New Boot

How To Hook Up external NTCS w/BNC to mac using Final Cut

I am needing to know what I need to do to hook up an external NTSC monitor that has BNC inputs, to my G5 computer. I am using Final Cut Pro 5
Charles Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #2
Major Player

You will need a capture card with BNC outputs, like the Decklink Extreme or AJA I/O (or KONA if you are working in HD) or Aurora PipePro Studio.
Shane Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Wrangler

What format are the BNC inputs supporting? I think they are used for different things, like component, s-video and even composite video on different monitors. Is it a high definition monitor or standard definition?

If working in standard definition a box like this will give you the choice of component, composite and s-video for less than a capture card. It connects to your computer via firewire. You would then just need some BNC to RCA adaptors which can be cheaply purchased at Radio Shack.

http://www.adstech.com/products/API-...sp?pid=API-555

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM   #4
New Boot

It is a standard def monitor NTSC
Old June 19th, 2006, 09:49 PM   #5
New Boot

I am not looking for a way to capture. I can use firewire from my camera. I just want to use the monitor for playback while in final cut pro... Is this posible
Old June 19th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If the BNC is for a component signal (3 cables to carry the video signal), then you need a device that can convert digital (i.e. uncompressed 4:2:2) --> component. Aja, Blackmagic, Aurora, Bluefish are some of the hardware manufacturers that do this.

If your monitor has a Y/C or S-video input, you can use that. You just need a S-video cable.

If the monitor has a composite input, get a BNC-RCA adapter. Make sure it's the right combination of male/female. The composite input is the lower quality, but it'll also show you chroma crawl (which you may want to monitor for).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Regular Crew

if you're working with dv, your camera or deck will convert the g5's firewire output to analog video. most cams and decks will only give you composite and sometimes s-video outputs. if your camera's "av output" is the type that's a 4-conductor mini-plug on one end and 3 rca plugs (yellow, white, and red,) then go to radio suk and get yourself a bnc to phono adaptor. radio suk catalog number 278-254. here's what it looks like:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

connect your camera/deck to the mac with a 4 to 6 pin firewire cable. connect the camera/deck's av outs to the camera.
plug the yellow rca output into the above adaptor and connect it to your monitor. if you're using a camera, it'll need to be powered on and in vcr/playback mode.

this is assuming that we're talking about a composite signal. if the monitoor's video input is just a single bnc connector, then it's composite. if you want to get a component signal to your monitor, then you need a conversion card.
Nate Ford is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite