anamorphic 16:9 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 2nd, 2006, 12:28 PM   #16
Major Player

thanks guys. I need to download the new QT. And Jeff, I"m shooting on DV for now... I"ll try removing the anamorphic setting and going 16:9. I always thought anamorphic was 16:9... what's the difference?
Amos Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 12:40 PM   #17
Major Player

wait, FCP 4.5 groups 16:9 and anamorphic as the same thing... I'm confused.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 01:51 PM   #18
Wrangler

For DV, anamorphic and 16:9 are the same thing. All DV is 720x480 (NTSC) pixels. The only difference for 16:9 is that the pixels are displayed wider. Anamorphic roughly translated from Greek means "changed form."

So on FCP 4.5 (or the newer versions) the only way to identify your footage as 16:9 is to click the "anamorphic" checkbox in the clip and sequence properties. That tells FCP to stretch the image wider while you edit, and it embeds a signal in the video stream which some devices (monitors, decks and some software) can recognize and cause them to go into 16:9 mode.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 04:59 PM   #19
Major Player

so, outside of dv, what is the difference between anamorphic and 16:9? Sometimes I hear 2.35:1 referred to as anamorphic.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:38 PM   #20
Major Player

Here are two links that may help:

http://gregl.net/videophile/anamorphic.htm

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ding_16_9.html
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:01 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos Kim
Sometimes I hear 2.35:1 referred to as anamorphic.
Yes - see my definition of anamorphic above. It describes a process where you fit a rectangular peg in a square hole :-) During the 1950's when everyone was excited about widescreen movies someone came up with the idea of using a special lens to squash everything in the horizontal dimension and record it on film. Then in the theatre another lens was used on the projector to stretch the film image to the full width of the screen.

With DV the same thing is being done digitally by dividing/multiplying the horizontal position of the pixels. So anamorphic could apply to any process that accomplishes the same thing.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite