Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 23rd, 2006, 12:47 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Hi Steve,

I use the tape as my "hard backup."

After we finished the shoot, the M2t's were copied to three hard drives, one went back to LA with the DP, another stayed in our editing suite and another went to another location for safety/backup.

I don't mean to downgrade tape, but there is no difference in capturing from tape and "moving" the data from DR.

Another reason I really like this format is that I can retain my originals, unlike a sale from one of our independent film projects.

Daniel, I will start another topic later since there seems to be an interest in it.

Tom

www.tomchaney.com
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM   #77
Trustee

Interesting - but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Benner
Media 100 is releasing a DV/HDV Software Only Edition in the coming months that captures across firewire and should retail in the $600 range. I can't wait for it!
That is interesting news Steve - but, given Media 100's long, checkered past of wanting to charge thousands of dollars for upgrades that should've, in view of the market place, been given free or at little charge (like getting 8 tracks of audio vs. 4, etc.), I have my doubts about the use any $600 product from them. After investing literally tens of thousands of dollars on their products, and then getting what amounted to the cold shoulder treatment when the DV/firewire revolution came about, it is little wonder that the company has changed hands several times since.

That said, I love Media 100's interface and overall stability. I've cut four full length movies plus many commercials on the system, and was largely pleased w/ the results.

But given their past practices, it would represent a 180 degree corporate mentality shift - one that I too would embrace at that price point.

Steve, any chance you could let us in on where you've picked up the scuttle-butt from or provide any more info? Thanks -

john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2006, 09:20 PM   #78
Trustee

interesting - but...

Tom - thanks for the offer. I might very well take you up on it. Tom, I'm not sure if I've asked you before, but did import/cut/export your new film w/ the intent that there be at least a possibility of a film release/print? Or did you aim the final product as a DVD/television only release? I ask because this would presumably affect your workflow in FCP as it stands now.
After what Paolo has written about the Pro 2 bug, I'm having serious doubts as to its ability to cut a feature.

And Paolo please correct me if I'm wrong, but what you've essentially stated is that Pro 2, as it exists now, can NOT cut then export, in any form or fashion, a full length film shot in HDV.

If this is true, then that's it for Pro 2- its dead to me and would seem to be a serious breach of marketability on Adobe's part.

john
evilgeniusenterainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite