DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Various questions FCP3 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/801-various-questions-fcp3.html)

Ken Tanaka November 28th, 2002 01:24 AM

Re: iDVD and FCP3

Certainly it's very possible to build a professional-quality dvd with iDVD. In essence, you export your movie from FCP3 into a Quicktime container in DV format, then import it into iDVD for MPEG2 encoding. You do, however, have to work within iDVD's confines; 90min max length, no subtitling or alternate audio tracks, submenuing is handled via a "folders" construct, etc.

Apple has a helluva lot of into regarding the iDVD and DVD-SP products on their site. http://www.apple.com/idvd/ That's your best overview resource for this subject. If you already have a Mac with iDVD why not spend a day or two exploring it to learn its features and limits. DVD-SP is a big leap in capabilities, expense ($999) and complexity of workflow.

Matt Stahley November 28th, 2002 11:13 AM

if you want to save disk space you can export movie to FCP movie hi res then uncheck make movie self contained box and idvd will except this format also. there is no need to export as quicktime file! just drag the FCP movie into idvd screen and it will automatically begin to convert to mpeg2.

Simon Davies December 3rd, 2002 01:15 PM

Cropping in FCP3

Hello everyone

It’s always quite difficult to explain in words something you want to do visually but here goes:

I want to place two separate clips into a sequence I’m putting together. When I drag the clips into the Canvas I want to crop them into four sided polygons which when placed next to each other will form a complete clip that is rectangular in shape, (visually, like a non-complicated jigsaw puzzle so to speak).

Using the crop tool I’m unable to make a four sided polygon other than a square and although I can make the shape I want with the distort tool the video image becomes distorted (as I’m sure is supposed to happen with the distort tool!)

In FCP 3 can I crop a video clip into a four-sided non-regular shape without distorting it?

Here’s hoping!

Cheers

Simon

Ken Tanaka December 3rd, 2002 03:27 PM

Simon,
If I understand your objective accurately, you need to basically build mattes (with rectangular cutouts) to mask-out each clip, positioning within the frame as needed. Stack them on separate tracks in the timeline and voila.

See FCP's Help or the manual for more info on building mattes. It's not as hard as it might appear.

Simon Davies December 3rd, 2002 05:08 PM

Ken

Thanks for your reply you're absolutely correct on this, I had a fiddle around tonight and indeed Matte's is the way to go with this one.

Just as a footnote, if there are any FCP programmers that stop by on this site, I think it would be quite cool if there was a non-linear crop option to the crop tool, it really would help and benefit what is a fantastic program!

Cheers!

Simon

Simon Davies December 10th, 2002 02:30 PM

Capturing CD audio in FCP3 on OS-X

Hello everyone

I don't know if this is a silly question or not but do you know how to do this?

The manual refers to a button labelled 'convert'. When locating the particular track on the audio CD you want to import apparently you press this button and it pulls the file in to FCP.

This would seem fine for OS-9 (which the manual, or some parts of it seem to be written for) but in OS-X the convert button does not exist.

When I import the song, the audio will run in FCP as long as the CD is in the player, but as soon as I remove it the track goes offline.

Probably a really simple answer ... ...!

Cheers

Simon

Jeff Donald December 10th, 2002 03:56 PM

Funny you should ask. The topic of converting audio for use in FCP has just come up. Read this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=5380 The beeping is what you get if you don't convert the audio to the same frequency as your sequence. QuickTime does a very nice job of converting the CD (44.1kHz) to the sequence setting (should be 48kHz for most audio). Load the CD open QT and load the track (or just drag and drop). Choose export from the menu and change the setting to 48kHz (or what you have your sequence set to). Drop converted file into timeline.

Jeff

Simon Davies December 10th, 2002 04:40 PM

Brilliant!

Thanks Jeff

Simon

Alex Ratson December 11th, 2002 11:20 PM

Can any version of QT do this?

Ken Tanaka December 11th, 2002 11:30 PM

Sorry, only the "Pro" version offers this facility.

Jeff Donald December 11th, 2002 11:31 PM

Quicktime 5 and 6 do (you need the Pro Key) and QT 4 I think did. Can't remember for sure on QT 4. Many other programs will do simple audio coversions. QT is the least expensive, $29.95 for the Pro Key. Version Tracker http://www.versiontracker.com/ may have some shareware or freeware programs that convert audio also.

Jeff

Dick Walton December 31st, 2002 07:08 AM

FCP-Audio Filter-Vocal DeEsser Settings?

I'm trying to apply the DeEsser filter to some voice over with too much "sssss".

There are 3 settings: Frequency, Ratio, and Emphasis. I assume the frequency is set at the approximate range of the human voice. Can someone explain the functions of the other two settings, the approximate values to reduce "ssss", and perhaps a reference to learn more about the FCP audio filters in general.

The FCP manual and "FCP 3 and the art of film making" don't seem to provide any details.

Thanks!

Matt Stahley December 31st, 2002 04:12 PM

i do most of my audio fx work with outboard equipment and have never used FCP3 de-esser but i would assume the frequency would be set to where the sibilance takes place ratio would be set for the amount you want the sibilance lessened and emphasis would be used to dial it in???? you may want to add the compression filter as well to even out your sound as to not allow the "ssssss" to overpower the spoken words.

try a pop filter placed in front of the mic while recording the VO next time this may help in reducing the sibilance.

Jeff Donald January 1st, 2003 12:39 PM

BIAS http://www.bias-inc.com/downloads/do...tion/peak.htmlhas free documentation and tutorials for Peak DV, the version that comes with FCP 3. If nothing else, download the PDF on removing noise, that may give a few insights.

Jeff

Mark Austin January 1st, 2003 09:00 PM

De-ess

The only way I have sucessfully de-essed is using hardware or software designed for just that. DBX makes a 900 series de-esser that is the best hardware de-esser I have ever heard (other than using a side-chain setup on an SSL console). Waves makes a software plugin de-esser that is absolutely awesome. I have used it on the last three records I have mastered just to clean up the zing in the highs. I'm sure that doesn't answer your question but it's the only way I've been able do it that works (almost) 100%.
my 2 cents
Mark

Scott Burbank January 17th, 2003 12:29 AM

Green screen with FCP3

Hi all

I'm about to shoot with a green screen next week. talking head. I will be editing with FCP3. I have been using FCP for 3 years now, but have never shot or edited with the green screen before. Does it do a decent job? Any tips and tricks to making it look right? I have already read alot about how to light, but just wondering if their is an tricks in post.

thanks
Scott

Mark Argerake January 19th, 2003 11:50 AM

Is anyone using a JVC SR-VS30U with FCP3?

I was thinking about picking one up, but it's not listed in Apples 'official' compatibility list.

If there are issues with it, what other miniDV/SVHS combo deck are you using?

Ken Tanaka January 19th, 2003 12:18 PM

Hello Mark,
Here's a current thread on this general topic that you'll want to review.

Mark Argerake January 19th, 2003 12:31 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Ken Tanaka : Hello Mark,
Here's a current thread on this general topic that you'll want to review. -->>>

Ken - I found that thread on a search, but noone has actually said they use the deck with FCP and that compatability is what I'm trying to find out. But that thread is a help with OTHER deck suggestions.

Ken Tanaka January 19th, 2003 12:45 PM

Mark,
Dan Berube, fellow "Wrangler" here and president of the Boston Final Cut Pro Users Group, seems to suggest that the deck is compatible with FCP3 in this thread.

Hopefully he'll chime-in here to comment.

Mark Argerake January 19th, 2003 12:57 PM

Dan are you out there?

I've been searching over on the 2-pop boards and quite a few folks have issues with artifacting, dropped frames and even gettin the deck recognized (when hooked with firewire). It seems to be the perfect solution for me (function/price) and maybe the deck is just a little sensitive and only works if it's treated a certain way....

Andrew Hogan January 24th, 2003 01:09 AM

I think there are some tips and maybe even a tutorial on lafcpug.com about Chroma keying.
BTW I have heard After Effects (if you have that too) gets better results easier then FCP.

Andrew Hogan January 24th, 2003 01:35 AM

Oops, exact url http://www.lafcpug.org/

Tony Brave January 30th, 2003 07:40 PM

which is better blue/green?

Anybody know the answer to this? I am using FCP

Andrew Hogan January 30th, 2003 10:58 PM

I think it depends on what is in your scene that you want to keep and what you want to knock out. With FCP you can use the eye droper tool to select the exact colour you wish to take away. Bluse and green are suggested normal colour to key as they are not in skin tones much. (my understanding only)

Steve Nunez February 4th, 2003 06:26 PM

24P footage using FCP 3

I have a new Panasonic DVX100 and would like to know if it's possible to dump 24p footage right into FCP? I read on another forum that 24P footage can be edited in a normal 29.97 dv sequence just as regular DV footage- but it somehow doesn't seem right- anyone know for certain if this is true- and if it's not- can someone explain how 24p can be edited without additional software?

Jeff Donald February 4th, 2003 10:06 PM

Steve,

Are you going to film or tape or DVD etc. with your footage? Remember that NTSC video is still 29.97 (30) frames per second. that's what every NTSC VCR plays, not 24p. What 24 frame mode are you using, p or a?

Steve Nunez February 5th, 2003 07:10 AM

Hey Jeff,

I feel like we're old frineds with us posting here so much..how's all?

I'm no pro- I'm just looking to produce videos for eventual output back to mini-dv tape or .mov files....definitely not transferred to film (however DVD is an option with my Mac)

...so can I put recorded footage in 24p (not advanced mode- which is for evetual film transfer as I understand) into a standard 29.97 DV sequence in FCP3? Can it be treated normally?

Also, my DVX allows the option to record in drop frame and non-drop frame- which is the better method when going back to FCP? I just want to make things easy!

Thanks Jeff
(and to any whom answer)

Jeff Donald February 5th, 2003 08:26 AM

Last things first Drop Frame (DF) and Non-Drop Frame (NDF) do not drop actual frames. Drop Frame, drops a frame number periodically so time code stays consistent with real time (29.97 fps vs. 30 fps) That small difference would throw all broadcast programing off over the course of a day. The spec for DV is drop frame, so I would recommend staying with drop frame.

I will suggest you read the following two links for a more complete understanding

Adam Wilt has a power point presentation that he did for MacWorld that you can view

"Digital Alliteration:Panasonic, Progressive, Pulldown and "Pretty Darn Cool"

By Charles Roberts

Adam's is a brief over view, but very concise and to the point. It will bring you up to speed in a hurry. The article by Charles Roberts is much more in depth and more of a how-to article.

If you have any questions after reading those articles, post back and I'll try to explain.

Mandla22 February 15th, 2003 05:21 PM

FCP3 Quits

I need some help on this. I did disk utility repair. Trashed Pref. still come up w/same issue; I run G4 DP533 1.2G Ram. I went to my OS 9.2.2 there FCP2 said I did not have proper Quicktime. I went to FCP2 CD downloaded QT version, then upon opening FCP2 it said that I had a missing or invalid software key and I need to reinstall FCP from the CD. Are the 2 issues related? The difference is that in OS 10.2.3/FCP3.04 it almost loads b4 I get the alert "FCP has unexpectedly quit". When I attempt to open FCP in OS 9.2.2 it doesn't even begin to load; the alert "Final Cut Pro requires a software key that is either missing or invalid. Reinstall FCP from the CD". I am in the worst case scenario. This happened b4 I was able to make a copy of my project. How can I save myself & my project and get this to work correctly?

Ken Tanaka February 15th, 2003 11:09 PM

I'm not sure what's happening but I am confused.

- Are you running FCP 2 or FCP 3?

- If the latter, why didn't you reinstall Quicktime Pro from the FCP 3 CD's?

- Are you running OS 9.x or OS 10.x?

FCP binds to an internal id of the Mac after successful installation. It cannot be copied or partially reinstalled without complete reinstallation.

Also, FCP on OS 9 is separate from FCP on OS 10. That is, you cannot invoke the same program file for either platform.

Your pre-problem project file will probably be fine, although you likely lost work in progress.

Mandla22 March 2nd, 2003 07:15 PM

Omf

How do you export an OMF audio file? If your project is longer than 2 hrs how do you split the file on to 2 cd's?

Ken Tanaka March 2nd, 2003 08:23 PM

Re: Omf

<<<-- Originally posted by Mandla22 : How do you export an OMF audio file? If your project is longer than 2 hrs how do you split the file on to 2 cd's? -->>>

From what application?

Mandla22 March 3rd, 2003 10:53 AM

OMF

Sorry I take things from granted. FCP3; I try to export to cd disk but it tells me I do not have enough space. How do put on 2 disks? Is this just a straight burn to cd process when I press export?

Jeff Donald March 3rd, 2003 11:37 AM

OMF is just a file format. When you hit the save button in the OMF dialog box it starts the creation of the file. How you burn it will be up to you and the software on your system. OMF does have a 2 gig limit. If your file will be bigger than 2 gigs it will generate an error dialog box.

Mandla22 March 3rd, 2003 11:01 PM

Exporting audio-burn to cd

How can I export my dialog audio as wav file then burn to cd to give to as sound editor? FCP3 w/OS X. I also have Toast.

Jeff Donald March 5th, 2003 10:26 PM

Sorry I missed your post. Import your file into QuickTime. Export the file (via QT) via export, change sound to WAV. Use Options to set Rate, bit rate, stereo/mono, and compression.

Guest May 21st, 2003 05:51 PM

scroll wheel in FCP3 OSX?

I just got a Logitech trackball with a scroll wheel. It works in all apps except Final Cut (v3.02 OSX 10.2.5).

Anyone else having this problem? If I had to guess, I'd say it's the Logitech drivers.

-Aaron

Curtis T. Stoeber May 21st, 2003 11:42 PM

I don't think scrollwheels have worked in any FCP product to date, and I don't expect them to work in FCP4, either (though of course I could be wrong). OS X supports scrollwheels and right mouse buttons natively (no drivers needed). But whether you have drivers or not, the screens ain't scrollin' in FCP. Tis a shame. Not sure why it is the way it is, but I've grown used to it.

PS - I use a Microsoft optical two-button mouse with scrollwheel.

Ben Nicholson May 22nd, 2003 06:46 AM

Same goes with Final Cut Express.

My MS Intellimouse Explorer's scrollwheel doesn't work in this app.